Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like others we started with the pressure at Sheffield boat ramp. People were spilling over from Miller road with its back ups. Seems the pandemic has caused people to forget politeness at the boat ramp.

Prepping your boat, or jet skis at the boat of the ramp = bad
Leaving your truck and trailer in the water while you carry coolers down to the beach = bad

A very anxious local decided to launch his ski in the the out lane when we were leaving because my buddy was taking too long to get his truck into position as we were coming out...hes new at trailering but I have seen worse. So the fella whips his truck and ski down the ramp. In his rush to advance he miscalculated the steepness of the ramp there. He hit the brakes and launched the ski which he had released the safety strap at the the top of the ramp. That jet ski slid 20 feet down the concrete ramp on its side. Guess Karma does exist. Helped a fella struggling by himself to load, took 2 minutes of my life. Time well spent. I fish to relax, not to incite
conflict!

Fished from 9-3 with one nice sized walleye to show. Did not mark fish very well from lorain light house to Avon Point. 35-55FOW. All drifting and trolling.

Highlight of my day was this 28 inch drum fish...aka sheephead. Fight was awesome, took me to the bottom five time. No tacos here, but they sure can fight!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Like others we started with the pressure at Sheffield boat ramp. People were spilling over from Miller road with its back ups. Seems the pandemic has caused people to forget politeness at the boat ramp.

Leaving your truck and trailer in the water while you carry coolers down to the beach = bad

A very anxious local decided to launch his ski in the the out lane when we were leaving because my buddy was taking too long to get his truck into position as we were coming out...hes new at trailering but I have seen worse. So the fella whips his truck and ski down the ramp. In his rush to advance he miscalculated the steepness of the ramp there. He hit the brakes and launched the ski which he had released the safety strap at the the top of the ramp. That jet ski slid 20 feet down the concrete ramp on its side. Guess Karma does exist. Helped a fella struggling by himself to load, took 2 minutes of my life. Time well spent. I fish to relax, not to incite
conflict!

Fished from 9-3 with one nice sized walleye to show. Did not mark fish very well from lorain light house to Avon Point. 35-55FOW. All drifting and trolling.

all i can say is wow never before have i even seen 1 that big i can imagine the fight
nice going,,,,

Highlight of my day was this 28 inch drum fish...aka sheephead. Fight was awesome, took me to the bottom five time. No tacos here, but they sure can fight!

·
Registered
188 Posts

conflict!

I have launched for forty yrs. Got a little bigger boat this year and a dock. I am enjoying the peace. I have seen alot of crazies out there and a bunch of newbies which I try to help, but the hot heads are the worse. Stay cool bro and tight lines.

·
Registered
121 Posts

conflict!

Not sure what kind of camera that is but thats the new standard for sheepshead... you coild tell a newbie u were in florida and its a redfish! Nice job

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,199 Posts
From everything we've seen and heard this year, I am so glad we have rack storage.
Edgewater looked like a zoo Saturday.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what kind of camera that is but thats the new standard for sheepshead... you coild tell a newbie u were in florida and its a redfish! Nice job
Thanks. I was really shocked by the size of this fish. I have fished reds in Florida and black drum in New Orleans which of course were bigger, but this was a beast for Erie. It was a great fight and light tackle made it that much better.

Vertebrate Fish Fishing Fish Carp This was a black drum I landed while fly fishing ......

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,198 Posts
It is too bad that there is not more use for the Lake Erie Red Fish. They are fun on light tackle spinning tackle, trolling not so much. Wish they ate like real Red Fish...:eek::eek::eek: Cause I can sure catch the fire out of them.

·
Registered
179 Posts

conflict!

That is a great attitude, but I’ve been admonished for trying to explain proper etiquette and offer my assistance in the launching process.. guess the life and happiness that matters is actually their own. Sounds like a twisted college education to me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My wife says I have a lack of patience for ignorance. I have been working on that for the past ten years! People have changed and so has my response. Ten years ago I would have given you some of my viewpoints....but today that can get you shot. I have talked with people who carry CC when they fish. If I need to arm myself when fishing, I am out!

I just want to relax and enjoy my space on the water. I hope you all enjoy the fishing!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My wife says I have a lack of patience for ignorance. I have been working on that for the past ten years! People have changed and so has my response. Ten years ago I would have given you some of my viewpoints....but today that can get you shot. I have talked with people who carry CC when they fish. If I need to arm myself when fishing, I am out!

I just want to relax and enjoy my space on the water. I hope you all enjoy the fishing!
Wise man..

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’ve been a firearms instructor for over twenty years, and I’ve had people tell me they only carry when they need too. I wish I was smart enough to know where and when, and maybe what time I’ll need to use deadly force to protect my life or others. They sure missed the church thing so I really don’t think fishing is on a different plane. Just saying enjoy fishing and being free, we have to fight everyday for those privileges. God bless
Just seen article on the murder of three friends fishing in Florida on new posts.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Saw that, terrible days for those families. Hoping humanity starts to come around for my kids sake!

Reactions: bustedrod

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
i dont need to carry at the fishin hole, im almost 70 and have had plenty of stupid encounters at the ramps. if you come to me with harm on your mind think twice, because my fishin rod will whip your *** to shreds, too many zorro flicks hahahah

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i dont need to carry at the fishin hole, im almost 70 and have had plenty of stupid encounters at the ramps. if you come to me with harm on your mind think twice, because my fishin rod will whip your *** to shreds, too many zorro flicks hahahah
I remember zorro!

Reactions: bustedrod
1 - 20 of 20 Posts