close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Raisin Warning

Discussion in 'Upland Game and Hunting Dogs' started by Big Daddy, Jun 16, 2007.

  1. They're poison to dogs. Here's the info...



    Written by:
    Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic
    Danville, Ohio

    This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
    MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate
    half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30AM & 4:30PM on Tuesday. He
    started with vomiting, diarrhea & shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the
    owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

    I had heard about raisins & grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't
    seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in
    immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet & the doctor
    there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we
    contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center & they said to
    give IV fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance & watch the kidney values for the
    next 48-72 hours.

    The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
    than 27) & creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
    monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter &
    started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM & the BUN was over 40
    & creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the
    point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure & sent him on to MedVet for
    a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight
    care.

    He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet & his renal values have
    continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
    diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications & they still
    couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
    BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated
    & his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to
    220. He continued to vomit & the owners elected to
    euthanize.

    This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
    could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
    serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
    toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
    including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate
    concern.



    Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth
    passing on to them.
     
  2. Thanks for the heads up Carl! I don't normally give any raisins to my dog but I would not have given it any thought as to them being toxic. As always I am skeptic about these types of stories and so I immediately looked it up on www.snopes.com which is a good source for weeding out urban legends. The most surprising thing that I found was that the story that you posted was not only valid but it was in fact from a vet in Danville, OH which is only about 20 miles from me. I know of the vet clinic but have never dealt with them. Apparently this happened in 2004.

    Again, thanks Carl for the heads up!!!