They're poison to dogs. Here's the info... Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville, Ohio This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30AM & 4:30PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea & shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM. I had heard about raisins & grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet & the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center & they said to give IV fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance & watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) & creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter & started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM & the BUN was over 40 & creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure & sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet & his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications & they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated & his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220. He continued to vomit & the owners elected to euthanize. This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.