Ohio Game Fishing banner

2621 - 2640 of 2644 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,621
Well been a fun week alot of jerkbait fish as well as Big Joshy Swims.
They were Monday liking it it just under surface but moved quicker then 5 second or more pause. Wrist roll the bait pause then smacked hard.
Next night before dark they were actively hitting the jerkbait worked slowly under surface with short pause.

Last night was pull down couple slight pulls to make bait move pause 5 to 10 seconds and lightest feather touch tick.

They are getting bigger as well girls are waking up. Around dark been best bite then alityle later slowly picks up.
IMG_20201121_093943_647.jpg

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looks like you had some fun last week. I would add, for those reading in areas around the state, what works at one lake may not work at another. You need to try everything until you find what your fish want. We had a great week last week too and brought home over 40 Saugeye for two of us, but we caught 80% of our fish slow jigging minnow tipped twisters in 10-15 ft of water off breaks. The shallows got us nothing but white bass. Our bites were well before dark too, we fished several hrs from 1 hr before until dark and I don't think we caught a single Saugeye in those hrs. All ours came from 1:00 - 3:00PM

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,625
Looks like you had some fun last week. I would add, for those reading in areas around the state, what works at one lake may not work at another. You need to try everything until you find what your fish want. We had a great week last week too and brought home over 40 Saugeye for two of us, but we caught 80% of our fish slow jigging minnow tipped twisters in 10-15 ft of water off breaks. The shallows got us nothing but white bass. Our bites were well before dark too, we fished several hrs from 1 hr before until dark and I don't think we caught a single Saugeye in those hrs. All ours came from 1:00 - 3:00PM
Yes what is your water temps I bet well warmer then what is here finally.
Makes total sense that was how are bite was a few weeks back this way. Midday bite was best bite of day.
Yours will start changing your water temps will be dropping an fish will start changing there patterns.
Key point you brought up. Not same at all lakes any given day.
That is why I say shallow lake report or Deepwater lake report. Do ones can adjust to where you might want to fish at certain water temps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Tried to change things up a bit after catching a bunch of shorts during the day and at dusk. Started with a float and fly with current on a wind blown point and only a few small bass but I thought was a good sign. Moved down the shore casting jigs and twister but nothing. Moved back to the original location, wind blowing hard, slight rain tossing a hair jig. Hooked up w/ a few small crappie and thought, the school is here. Stayed put for a good 45 minutes catching 5 keepers, 5 shorts and the biggest being 15 inches. Wasn’t expecting Crappie as it wasn’t my target species but adjusted and had a great day.
593578E4-9D5F-4F35-AB35-9615FD698125.jpeg

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
In my head I can go to any lake stocked with saugeye and shad and catch them with stickbaits at night, especially during certain times of years.
I have been exchanging reports/notes with a couple guys that fish for saugeye in Colorado.
They are fishing DEEP lakes. Like us they look for current. But like us there not always found in the current. And there looking for shallow feeding shelfs and funnel areas. There getting to a point we're they don't have slot of open water to fish. And have been using some of the same dead stick techniques discussed in this thread after I told about tuning stickbaits to make them suspend on the pause or what ever you want them to do depending on the mood of the fish. These two guys have always used stick baits but have never really dead sticked with them. They more just steady reel with a quick pause most of the time. They have been very impressed with the results....
They also use alot of bigger J5 sized swimbaits with bass style underspin jigs. It's been very fun and very educational exchanging notes with them. I have learned from them and they have learned from me.
I'm trying to arrange a Colorado family vacation next fall (my family has always wanted to go there anyways). I'd we do,I will be linking up with these guys and see how they do it first hand. From what I can tell it's not a numbers game. And more of a big fish game. They might get 3 or 4 bites a night. But there usually pigs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Didn't make it out tonight but definitely plan on giving it ago in the rain tomorrow plan on really working the dead sticking tactic and getting a good feel on it as it is new to me,,,seems like everywhere I go around alum is so shallow this time of year though

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
You guy’s are the bomb! I, like so many have learned things I never considered on here. It’s made me a much more versatile, and productive fisherman.
Thanks to everyone that posts.
Surgery Tuesday to begin to prepare for an ankle replacement. Keep posting photos, they keep me fired up.
I’ll still post, just no fishing for 3 to 4 months... ugh.
See you on the water in the Spring
Al

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You guy’s are the bomb! I, like so many have learned things I never considered on here. It’s made me a much more versatile, and productive fisherman.
Surgery Tuesday to begin to prepare for an ankle replacement. Keep posting photos, they keep me fired up.
Al
Wishing you a speedy recovery Al. I had an ankle replaced and the other one fused, so I know what your going through.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Al
Good luck Al,hope it all goes well. I was sidelined for a bit back in June due to hip replacement. I was only out of fishing for 6 weeks though. It should go fast for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sure was a rainy windy night last night for my first time trying indian lake decided to give it a try since the struggle at alum is real latley,,ended up with a 15 and 18 both on purple flash 3.25 I think I was at the beach area lol not sure,,will prolly end up back at alum tonight as that is 10 min away and indian is over an hour

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sure was a rainy windy night last night for my first time trying indian lake decided to give it a try since the struggle at alum is real latley,,ended up with a 15 and 18 both on purple flash 3.25 I think I was at the beach area lol not sure,,will prolly end up back at alum tonight as that is 10 min away and indian is over an hour
I was out at Alum on Monday and Tuesday evening, only caught shorts 13-14" and a 10" on sttickbaits. Big girls have to be somewhere.... Will try Marina Friday.

·
Carp53.65
4,107 Posts
Fished buckeye tonight. Nobody was catching. Not normal for this time of year. This is what I do not understand. If your dead sticking a crank bait and the fish hit on the long pause how can they not get hooked well on a bait that is not moving with three treble hooks. Had three legal fish come off at my feet. Frustrating. This is my third trip in the last week. It has been dead.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This is my third trip in the last week. It has been dead.
It has been slow for us since Monday. The only bites we could get was slow drifting a near vertical jig with minnows. Letting it sit dead on bottom a couple seconds and when you lift there would be weight...drop it back and give them a 5-7 count to eat it . Caught 7 monday, 5 tuesday and 2 Wednesday. It got worse everyday. Even went to the tail waters Wednesday evening at Paint creek and had one bite between two of us, a 16 incher, in 2.5 hrs. Didn't fish yesterday, but may today.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been at alum since about 4am fishing a few spots that usually produce at least a few shorts and I ain't had the first bump,,joshys jerks and twisters notta thing

2621 - 2640 of 2644 Posts