Ohio Game Fishing banner

2601 - 2620 of 2644 Posts

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I have noticed that Crappie and Saugeye never hang out together, which makes sense. But I have found that if I am catching crappie while jigging near bottom , if I move 10 ft deeper or sometimes shallower, that's when I stop getting Crappie and start getting either Saugeye or Smallmouth.
This couldn't be further from the truth… When I'm crappie fishing I will always catch saugeye...Whether using a jig, jigging a small spoon, or using a bobber and a minnow… They are absolutely always hanging out together

·
Registered
3 Posts
This couldn't be further from the truth… When I'm crappie fishing I will always catch saugeye...Whether using a jig, jigging a small spoon, or using a bobber and a minnow… They are absolutely always hanging out together
Yes I jig fish Lot and even mention it in my seminars. Saugeye will mix with the other gsmefish in areas especially in spring an late fall. They are there eating same bait and fry. Get many mixed bags of fish jigging same areas

·
1,802 Posts
Like I said in one of my posts, the big ball of baitfish that I was fishing over and around turned out to be this years crappie fry by the stomach contents of the saugeye I kept. Caught three crappie, one sm bass, and a rock bass all under and around those baitfish. For some who aren't concerned about size of spoon, I started with a 1/3 No-Eql, had to switch to a 1/4 Shorty, and could not get a bump on the 1/2 oz Shorty and on this day they were not interested in my fin-s-fish offerings. Try different sizes and weights and colors....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Agreed on crappie. Each fall/winter season, I catch a few good-sized crappie when throwing sticks for saugeye. When I remember to bring my ultralight and a handful of small jigs, I usually bring a few of each--crappie and eyes-- home for the table.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
What do you guys think this warm-up will do to the night saugeye bite?
Haha hard to say. I thought the cool down Sunday was going to help with an already great bite from Friday an saterday,but it was non existent.
So now I'm hoping it's still early enuff in the year and they are still wanting that stable weather.
I definitely wouldnt let it stop you from getting out. If anything enjoy the great weather why it lasts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Solid advice.

I just can't quite figure these fish out. I've caught them and, more often, been skunked high barometer, low barometer, warm, cold, wind any which way....

Had the exact opposite experience. I caught a bunch of shorts over the weekend and did well when it got cold--caught a 24", my biggest ever. Go figure.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Yepp that'saugeye fishing,well any fishing for that matter. I dont know how many times I've gone out an skunked the place up. Then the next day hear of guys catching them. I'm sure they were on the feed bag Sunday night really well. Just not the areas I tried(caught 3total).

I'm a weekend warrior with 2 young kids an my wife works 2nd shift,so notmany week night trips for me unless I arrange something. So when I get chances to go,I go.
Some nights line up perfect and nothing happens,and other nights you would think they would never bite there on fire.
I have been sitting in spots to long lately. Knowing fish use them this time of year. I'm going to start moving around more,Friday night I fished 3 spots and didnt catch any,missed on really big fish at the bank,before finally stopping at one more spot literally on my way home,and found them really good.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Is there a certain size or species of bait fish you all

Shad for me,but alot of times at alum an Hoover it's good to see small gills an other panfish in the rocks
There also seems to be a good population of shiner type minnows at both lakes.
At the shallow lakes I'm looking for shad. Not to concerned about size this time of year. I like seeing them grouped up tite an so many of them it sounds like it's raining. This time of year they seem to run between the sizes of say a #6 xrap and a super rouge. Occasionally running into schools of the big ole breeder shad 10"+.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well shallow lake to west cooled down water temp wise. Monday Tuesday had fantastic bite around 5 to dark. With over 20 keepers caught by dark. Swims and jerks Monday. With alot slower working of jerkbait that was tuned to pretty much stay in place alittle slow rise to it. But saugeye wanted it both nights just under surface. Pull it down rarely get bit.

Tuesday they wanted Smithwick well before dark and wanted it barely moving but again 4 to 6"under surface was the ticket. Left at dark but know if stayed it would have been big numbers caught.

Water will warm but think fish are now in the winter feed pattern and will continue to feed alot thru day. Tight lines

·
Registered
195 Posts
Since the warm up, I've been catching similar numbers as before, but most are shorts. Also, per the earlier comments about crappie and saugeye not mingling, I caught a 13" crappie on a HJ.

I should have been out there last night, but couldn't resist the sweet siren song from my couch.

·
1,802 Posts
Went to a local lake yesterday and struggled for about three hours. Had a mass of baitfish, unknown what species, under the boat in 27 feet of water. Caught one keeper and 4-5 shorts on spoon and decided to make a move. Stopped to check a spot that I hadn't caught a saugeye in at least 4 years and it was on fire. Caught 23 and kept five to make my limit, all in 15-18 ft on 1/4 oz Hopkins and 1/4 oz chartreuse jig with a 4 inch Fin S Fish, water temp at 12P 54.7....

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Shew,all bout persistence tonight. Hit one on a vibe at my second spot. That kept me there for another hour without a bite. Tried two more spots with out a bump for a couple hours. Hit one more area that has a few spots to try. After the second spot in this area I finally got bit. Didn't connect. Next cast I got a 15"er. Then the next 90 minutes I catch 6 more. They all came on a clown x rap 8. Reel it down a SLOWLY twitched with a long pause in between.

2601 - 2620 of 2644 Posts