Ohio Game Fishing banner

2581 - 2600 of 2644 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Interesting color! Yeas back a guy in Rayland Ohio had me paint a bunch of warts Chocolate with orange bottom. He said the smallies in the Ohio river tore up that color. Gonna look for a few and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seems to me like the deeper lakes are still pretty warm and the eyes are not roaming shallow every night. Only getting action at a deep lake when theres a front or weather event to push them shallower. Calm nights im zeroing still which doesn't happen when the water is colder and the true fall feed is on.
By next week should be much better due to dropping water temps

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
slightly off topic , but in your deeper lakes like Alum , just how deep do Saugeye go? Can you find them hanging around the thermocline in the deepest part of a lake (~50-60ft) in Summer, and do they go really deep in fall when weather gets colder during day (obviously I follow this thread and know they like going close to shore at night). When people say "they are deep" is that 'deep' relative to the shore, or do they really go deep? Reason I am asking , is I am starting to get in to jigging for them, but I rarely jig in water deeper than 25 ft, wondering if its ever worth my time to go deeper?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
slightly off topic , but in your deeper lakes like Alum , just how deep do Saugeye go? Can you find them hanging around the thermocline in the deepest part of a lake (~50-60ft) in Summer, and do they go really deep in fall when weather gets colder during day (obviously I follow this thread and know they like going close to shore at night). When people say "they are deep" is that 'deep' relative to the shore, or do they really go deep? Reason I am asking , is I am starting to get in to jigging for them, but I rarely jig in water deeper than 25 ft, wondering if its ever worth my time to go deeper?
Alum’s thermocline is usually around 20’. That’s usually about all the deeper I target also.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Yeah alot of us just prefer the shallow bite. If I had a boat with electronics I'd fish the deeper fish more often. They are there,100%.
Look up posts from sixtyminutes, he seems to be getting them deeper. And getting them really good.
But there are plenty of guys out there deep water jigging fall/winter saugeyes in the lakes around here and esp. Down in the mwsd lakes.
Just not alot of them post here.

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,447 Posts
I launch my boat targeting saugeyes until the lakes freeze up. Shad group up in the deeper basin near the dams in our se Ohio lakes, and the saugeyes follow.. 22-28 feet seems to be our zone. One of lakes I fish has depths in the creek channel up to 38 ft, but I never have any success that deep.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The beginning of the month I was getting fish around 31’ to 32’. They have been moving slightly shallower each trip out and I’ve been out once or twice every week. Last week 24’ to 26’ was the sweet spot for me.
As Lewis mentioned 22’ to 28’ is a good spot to start looking.
For me, daytime deep fish always seem to get really active when the water temp drops into the mid 50’s to low 40’s. My favorite time of year to fish deep lakes during the day.
Hard points, inside corners and edges of flats are great places to look right now. Fish will stack up close to deep water... like the old creek bed. When they are really active you will find them up on top of hard structural elements. They can be substantially shallower early, late or in heavy overcast or windy conditions.
Bait in said areas is key.

·
Registered
451 Posts
What about in deep pools in a central Oh river - say 30 feet? I can get them when they come shallow 8' - 2', but I know they are out/ down there in the depths. My sonar screen is full of quality marks suspended off humps, sitting on the bottom, etc. Some are bait, gar, cats, wipers, rough fish of all kinds, and some bigger toothy critters as well as those eyes. The only fish I can positively identify on my sonar are wipers(always in the same spot) and drum(due to the humpback.) This pool has two drops, one from 2' to 6' then slopes off to 14', which I consider the normal high water scour hole. However, there is another drop that goes from 14' to 30'(fairly steep drop) that is stacked with fish. I consider this the spring/ summer flood scour hole. This deeper section runs for about 1000 feet in length and is nearly as wide. It then narrows down to about three-four hundred feet in length going from a depth of 28' to 6'(ish) - then eventually another riffle. I'm not even sure if light can penetrate 30' of this water? - you likely know the color. I have tried everything to get down there, even running my powered yak at 5mph with deep divers, bumping the bottom, traps, harnesses, blades, etc. I can get nothing - Any ideas?

·
1,802 Posts
I have been consistently doing good in from 15-28 ft on the saugeyes for the last 2 weeks. Caught around twenty yesterday with most in the 28 ft depth. Kept six nice eaters. lots of 14-16 inch fish and most had this years Crappies in their stomach. I could see a mass of bait at the 18-20 ft depth, assume now they are Crappie....Spoons....

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
In the Ohio this time of year for deep fish my goto was always Hopkins Shorty’s. Those spoons get down there pretty quick and everything loves them. Or, for those stubborn fish nothing beats some cast netted local bait.
Used to fish the delta caused by the Scioto. You could pick up Sauger all along it. Jigs and minnows would work when nothing else would. They would crush shad we cast netted. If we used store bought minnows the bite was usually much less dramatic.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have been consistently doing good in from 15-28 ft on the saugeyes for the last 2 weeks. Caught around twenty yesterday with most in the 28 ft depth. Kept six nice eaters. lots of 14-16 inch fish and most had this years Crappies in their stomach. I could see a mass of bait at the 18-20 ft depth, assume now they are Crappie....Spoons....
Sent you a PM. :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
[/QU
I have noticed that Crappie and Saugeye never hang out together, which makes sense. But I have found that if I am catching crappie while jigging near bottom , if I move 10 ft deeper or sometimes shallower, that's when I stop getting Crappie and start getting either Saugeye or Smallmouth.

2581 - 2600 of 2644 Posts