Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bass & Catfish Charter Service
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fishin' buddy and I hit up Hoover Reservoir Saturday during the rain. We fished 8-hours in non stop rain, and had fun.

Report:

1) - Both largemouth & smallmouth were set up on off-shore ledges that dropped from 5ft. to 8ft. to 20ft. or deeper. Most were caught with the Carolina rig tipped with a Venom tube. But several others were caught using a Bomber BD7F crankbait, and the drop-shot rig tipped with a Due Drop worm.
2) - Most areas I marked a thermocline on my Humminbird at about 15ft.. But I did find a few areas as the wind and rain was picking up that I didn't mark a thermocline.
3) - We picked up quit-a-few bass within' 10ft. of a long stretch of a rip rap wall. My buddy caught a bunch of 'em with his weedless rigged Venom Tube. And I caught mine with a JignDream Craw or the Bomber 4A Real Craw.

I hope this don't bore you folks.

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
Watched a tourney weigh-in today(Sun.) at the Walnut St. ramp. Each boat brought in at least 7-8 bass. Biggest was real close to 5lb. Seemed like deep cranking was the ticket late and buzz baits in the morning.:) The club was from southern/eastern part of the state. They seemed to like the way Hoover treated them. Tight-lines.:F

·
Registered
841 Posts
I wonder if that's why I saw a bunch of floaters near the ramp this afternoon while out and about In my pontoon.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I wonder if that's why I saw a bunch of floaters near the ramp this afternoon while out and about In my pontoon.
Probably so Timmy.:( Each man in the boat was allowed 5 fish. So you add up to 10 fish in a livewell + an all day ride + temps + several bass getting bounced off the black top while trying to get weighed, and that= floaters. Just sayen!!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just curious, (since I don't fish bass tournaments or even fish for bass)...Are the bass released where they are weighed in at or taken back out and released to different parts of whatever body of water the tournament was held at?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
hang_loose, every tournament I've ever seen just releases the fish at the same ramp they weigh in at. The fish, that survive, make their way back to where they came from IMO.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I haven't heard of a tournament that you keep 10 fish at Hoover?

Fish are released at the weigh in area.
Each man competes on his own. Therefore each man gets to use his 5 bass limit. No team, just individual fishing, even if there are two to a boat.

·
Registered
769 Posts
its 2013, dead fish post weigh in shouldnt be happening!
I would not call it releasing the bass. More like dumping the bass. :( Eapecially this tourney. You had to keep your own fish seperate in the less than big live wells. So each guy fires some type of chain link clip thru the jaw /gill of the fish to keep his catch marked. Reel nice...
It's ok. They"Got-err-done".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts