Rainbow Trout

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Welsh Dragon, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Welsh Dragon

Welsh Dragon Old School Member

Anyone have advice on rainbow trout fishing in a small lake this time of year? Taking my young son this week and want to make sure we have a chance to catch something in this weather.
    Thanks in advance.

2. try waxworms or maggots/mousies. it should catch some fish if you can find them

3. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

Powerbait and corn have worked well for me when chasing rainbows. Where you planning on going?

4. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I believe the info on the Antrim trout stocking was in todays paper. I dont have it in front of me now or I would confirm.

If you're not into just watching bobbers then don't forget spoons or inline spinners. I went to a trout release back in the spring and spoons were far out-catching wax worms, trout-krilla, etc. 3 of my buddies and myself were catching more fish than the other 15 people around us combined (they were bobber fishing)

5. Welsh Dragon

Yeah, Antrim is releasing about 400 "left over" rainbows on Wed mid morning. The article in the dispatch says they are decent sized (up to 8 lbs). Thanks for the info, I'll prob set my son up with a bobber and throw some in-lines or spoons. Any advice on type or color of either? I'd love to see my son pull in a big one.

6. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Yep, the big fish are in there. While we were at a small trout release (all 12" fish) one of my buddies caught about a 7 pounder. If I remember right, his was on troutkrilla on bottom.

I only threw spoons. I had several spoons and the guys that were with me borrowed a few. The best producer was a silver spoon with one pink stripe up the spoon on 1 side. I couldn't tell you the brand, because I believe it was just one of those walmart specials where you get about 8 spoons of various sizes for $2. I was throwing nicer spoons (Acme Kastmasters) to no avail... they liked the cheap ones. :)

7. Those large trout love micro rapalas. I buy the rainbow or brown trout model. I think they are 1.5" or smaller. put 2-3 small splitshot 2-3 ft in front of it to help get it down. steady or stop and go retrieve. They will kill it.
    ski

8. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Stick with Powerbait Trout Pellets under a bobber:

[​IMG]

9. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

hah, how far down under the bobbers?

I've fished antrim dozens of times with the trout pellets on the bottom with no luck at all.

I've got a habit of using the right bait in the wrong way :(

10. TightLine

TightLine Member

Just a heads up. If you never been to the pre turkey day trout release a couple things to remember. Get there real early even though the fish usually are let loose late morning it is elbow to elbow and throw in a few armpits for good measure. Throwing spoons and inlines is possible from the East side of lake during the release, unfortunatly they let the fish go on the west side. (see elbow to elbow) unless you can throw it straight out in front of you and with a breeze not even then as everybodys floats drift in front of you.
    Don't get me wrong, it can be allota fun but make sure you pack allot of patience and forgiveness for your fellow anglers. I think this is the only time allot of these fellows see the water all year and it can be trying at times.
    I mostly stick with some bait under a bobber as it's easier to drift with everyone else. If I stick around till late afternoon I'll throw rooster tails, fly's and everything else as it's usually cleared out allot by then. Have had some success and have been skunked also.
    Not sure if I can make it this year but going to try!

Good Luck and Tightlines!

11. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

DNR website says the release is the 30th. So is it the 30th or this wednesday. Im going to go so need to know thanks. Nice looking fish redhawk.

12. I be there also. But I will not be there for trout, I am going to catch the new state record saugeye! :p

13. TightLine

TightLine Member

Bubba, that was "10/30" that was the 12" ers. The breeders as far as I know have always gone in the day before Thanksgiving.
    May see you there. but don't wait till the 30th. probably have 3" of ice by then.

14. Bubba bass bigfoot

Thanks for the heads up. I should be out there. How early ya think i should get there. Around 8-9.

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

it should be pretty crowded by then.

16. Bubba bass bigfoot

ok. I went once 2yrs ago. got nothing showed way to late.

17. I'm pretty sure they just let the young kids fish the first few hours (16 & under maybe?).....so for those older than that, you may not want to head out until later on.

18. Welsh Dragon

I think this is a different release and there is no age limit during anytime of the day.
    I was planning on working half day then going out around 1, is it even worth it?

19. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Here is how it works.

1. Get there really early, like 6:30 or earlier. Otherwise, you will have to physically cut in between two other anglers, and everyone will get angry. Early bird gets the trout.

2. Dress as warm as you can, and bring some hot beverages. It gets cold really cold sitting there.

3. The fish start biting almost immediately once they are released from the holding tanks. Poor things get about 2 minutes of freedom before they are dinner!!! The user above who posted that only the kids can fish for the first couple of hours is incorrect. That only applies to the days they stock the 12" ers. It is every man for himself on breeder day.

4. As stated earlier, keep your cool. I can promise you that someone who gets there 2 hours after you did will cut in directly next to you and won't hesitate to fire a cast across your lines. He may even try to sit in your chair.

5. Get ready to have a good time, catch some BIG trout, and eat fish with your turkey on Thanksgiving.

20. TightLine

TightLine Member

It's good to have a buddy with you. Mine are all fair weather fisherman so usually by myself. I say this because two years ago, got there early, fishing next to the deck caught one turned around to take care of fish put it away, turn back around two guys somehow managed to squeeze into the spot I was crowded in as one. It took some convincing from myself and a few others I had been fishing by to get them to move on.
    Welsh, I'm not going to say it's not worth your time to come in afternoon,I've caught a few over the years. It's best to be there when they let them go.
    For years I wouldn't go on release day I would go Thanksgiving morning. I didn't think fish would bite as soon as they were released. I was very wrong.