Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Fish fire food friends family
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday after work (6/17/22) I did a river walk in the Cuyahoga downtown Kent. Small micro lures/spinners and plastics. Came away with a variety of fish. @ 8:30 pm I was around the area of the 59 bridge and was casting a Walmart pink jig with white body...2nd cast into heavy current and halfway back retrieve I get something???

Rainbow!

Honestly @ the time It didn't hit me as a rare catch for area. I WAS surprised for sure though!

...anyway I tried calling ODNR with a couple different numbers and got only machines (no humans) I will be making a call tomorrow morning (6/20/22) from work when they are open to report my catch and whatnot.

I'll report here with this post of my findings. Picture is the fish in (question)

Enjoy the night and happy Father's day to all who are just that with reading this 馃榿

Don.
Hand Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Fish Finger

Registered
Last Friday after work (6/17/22) I did a river walk in the Cuyahoga downtown Kent. Small micro lures/spinners and plastics. Came away with a variety of fish. @ 8:30 pm I was around the area of the 59 bridge and was casting a Walmart pink jig with white body...2nd cast into heavy current and halfway back retrieve I get something???

Rainbow!

Honestly @ the time It didn't hit me as a rare catch for area. I WAS surprised for sure though!

...anyway I tried calling ODNR with a couple different numbers and got only machines (no humans) I will be making a call tomorrow morning (6/20/22) from work when they are open to report my catch and whatnot.

I'll report here with this post of my findings. Picture is the fish in (question)

Enjoy the night and happy Father's day to all who are just that with reading this 馃榿

Don. View attachment 490217
Wouldn鈥檛 a steelhead have to jump the Gorge Dam in Akron to make it up to Kent?

Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:
Cannot get in touch with anyone. I left a text message and an email. So will wait for a response with that for now.

If anyone knows someone who knows someone lol...feel free to continue this quest to place report with ODNR.

All information is in above post with picture.

Don.

Registered
Update:
Cannot get in touch with anyone. I left a text message and an email. So will wait for a response with that for now.

If anyone knows someone who knows someone lol...feel free to continue this quest to place report with ODNR.

All information is in above post with picture.

Don.
Probably off for Bidens new holiday Juneteenth

Premium Member
And your point is? So many people come to OGF to get away, share their catches, outdoor experiences. But someone comes along and has to... Tired of coming here and seeing post going political, derailed.
Agreed, stay on topic and leave politics at the door. Topic here is an unexpected fish caught upstream of dam. Looking forward to hearing how it got there, nice catch!

Registered
Wouldn鈥檛 a steelhead have to jump the Gorge Dam in Akron to make it up to Kent?
In a few years that dam will be gone, but they will still need to get over the other three falls to include the one that dam is in front of! lol...

Registered
He was on topic. OP was complaining about not getting in touch with anyone in a State office and he was explaining why. Its not hard to understand unless you鈥檙e looking for something to whine about.
To many old PC women on here. Ooooh, don't hunt my feelings.:rolleyes:馃槅馃

Not in Kansas anymore...
Do you not like the holiday because it's for people that don't look like you?

I'm genuinely interested to know why this official holiday is a problem, as opposed to Veterans Day or Columbus Day?

Insert giant Ducking eye roll

Reactions: dholmes

Not in Kansas anymore...
Cmon guys, why you got to screw up Don's thread. The man caught a trout in the Cuyahoga river. You know the river that caught fire. Let a good story play out and start your own thread
True story. Just frustrated.

I live near Kent and would have been floored to have caught a trout there. I was surprised when I caught a small walleye a couple years ago.

Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update part 2:

Just talked with Joe from ODNR. Interesting find/catch for sure in that part of river. I sent him the picture with exact location/time/day...whatnot.

Was very nice and will look into the catch. We didn't get deep with conversation. But I felt better talking to him (human) than the past few machines.

Thanks for the replies and feedback with this post and always appreciate it! I will post up if I get any feedback from Joe.

Stay twisted...

Don.

Registered
Update part 2:

Just talked with Joe from ODNR. Interesting find/catch for sure in that part of river. I sent him the picture with exact location/time/day...whatnot.

Was very nice and will look into the catch. We didn't get deep with conversation. But I felt better talking to him (human) than the past few machines.

Thanks for the replies and feedback with this post and always appreciate it! I will post up if I get any feedback from Joe.

Stay twisted...

Don.
Emailed my contact at ODNR and here is his reply.

"Hi Patrick: We are not sure where that fish originated from. Our best guess is that the fish may have been transferred by an angler fishing nearby at Monroe Falls Lake, where they were stocked in the spring. There are currently no rainbow trout stockings in the Cuyahoga."

Perhaps this trout use to be a white snapping turtle? The mystery goes on.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts