close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rain!!!!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by StuckAtHome, Jun 19, 2007.

1. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Blacklick behind my house is ALMOST kayak-able, but its a bit over my personal safety standards, bad news is it drops rapidly(and rises), might b e too low tomorrow night when I might go.

It looks not too bad in the pic, trust me its moving good, one bad strainer and your toast.

Attached Files:

2. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

dang your lucky. you have a nice creek in your backyard. i have a scioto watershad creek lol with Green sunfish and creek chub.

3. StuckAtHome

Blacklick is an awesome little clear clean creek, with SM, rockies, Gills carp cats(can't seem to find any but dead ones) and clubs. Strange thing about Blacklick is the absence of crayfish, there is SOME, but not in any numbers, believe me, I wade it a couple times a week with my 10 yr son, we seine it, and small hand bait nets, if you get more than one an hour, your doing good. Minnows everywhere, thats why I fish with minnow type lures and stay away from craw colors, EXCEPT in the spring where the wee craw from rebel is the bomb, after that Nada. Also no dobsonfly larvae(hellgramites) never found one yet, wonder if the two golf courses it meanders thru are the answer, all the chemicals, and I hear small invertebrates(craws) and insects feel the pain first, it couldn't help the creek, man these pills make me ramble on...

4. Bubba bass bigfoot

i have never waded it. it is a good place to fish for smallies. im always wadeing the Darby never go to any of the other creeks. would like to, just to see something and be some where new.

5. Bubba bass bigfoot

forgot to ask, do you (think ya do lol) know of anygood spots to get into that you can wade for a good ways. just looking to get started. might go this weekend. thanks.

6. StuckAtHome

Blacklick is WAYYYYYY smaller than Darby, I would hit walnut, scioto, olentangy or alum before Blacklick, its totally different fishing, fly rod or light spinning, the holes a few and far between, it has plenty of SM, But I would try the bigger rivers instead of coming across town for blacklick.

Just checked Big walnut's water flow, its been around 100 cfs for awhile, now it spiked at 505, hope it comes down bt this weekend, at least 150 is fishable!
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?03229500

7. Bubba bass bigfoot

i might still fish it. sounds fun. a new look and have to do different things to catch em maybe. learn a thing or two.

8. i'm from southeast ohio, but took a trip to columbus w/ 2 buddies to fish these creeks everyones been talkin about. we did awesome on the darby, but we caught 33 smallies on the blacklick in 7 hours, by far our best day. started at portman park outside pickerington, walked all the way up to reynoldsburg, through both golf courses and got out on worthington rd(i think). fish were spooky, but upstream helped. used buzzbaits and zara puppys, w/ the biggest fish @ 14 1/2 ", lost a couple others around the same size, caught 3 @ 12", the rest was from 6-11". had a blast and its beautiful water, wouldnt recommend goin downstream, gets polluted.

9. StuckAtHome

you went right behind my house! I live in the subdivision after the Dispatch park, cross the road from portman. Portman has one DEEP hole, really two adjoining holes, then how about the hole with the telephone pole, or the bridge (Golf cart) to turnberry? I love the creek but its different water compared to stained rivers that are bigger. Also there is the biggest breeding pair of red tailed hawks I've ever seen, with the nest next to the creek by the opening near hole #11 AT TURNBERRY, they have had successful chicks the last 3 years, very cool to watch and the kids love checking out all the dead carcases below the nest, man they eat allot of stuff!

Update: BIG WALNUT IS 747CFS AT 11PM TUES NIGHT, goodbye low water, hope its hit the apex, need it down by sat darn-nit!

10. Bubba bass bigfoot

i cant beleave the water levels got that high that quick. as low as they were. just to let you know, they are calling for more rain Sat. but thats it. if i go there should i down size my lures? guessing i should b/c its a smaller creek.

11. Hey guys, thought I would join and get some advice and maybe pass some on. I have lived in Reynoldsburg my whole life. I'm about 500 yards from Blacklick creek maybe 1/2 mile south of Broad. Late in the summer you can get crawdads, I take my kids down there and clean up. I like to use them on the Scioto beneath the Trabue Rd. bridge....nice smallies! I am a wader or fish from bank guy. No boat, although the older I get (42) it sounds tempting. I'm heading up to the Kokosing this Saturday. I usually go there 2 -3 times a year and wade. Usually a bunch of smallies, rock, and once about 3 or 4 years ago I caught a steelhead off a rooster tail (14-16inch). Oh well, nice to talk to ya, I'll let everyone know how the road trip to Gambier went.