Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me and my two Hommies was itchin to go fishing after our long awaited fishin and campin trip to a private lake got canceled because of rain. We studied on it awhile and figured that the lake at Big Bone Lick State park (I ain't makin that up, that's really the name) might be the only clean water for hundreds of miles. So at 5am we got there in a blinding storm and put on our rain gear and climbed up a long hill and there it was, clean and very clear. This lake is about 15 or more acres and has a rough trail around it. The trail had been turned into greasy snot by the rain and my rain suit had turned into a portable sauna. My glasses were fogged up and my underwear was falling down and soaked with sweat, but being a hard headed hillbilly I pressed on. Slippin and sliden around whippin a buzz bait into the howlin rain storm. No luck! Switched to my old reliable Wacky worm and Bam! Caught a 10" Bass right away. After that, Nothin again! Started my long hump through the brush and briars getting cut to pieces by thorns and wild rose bushes back to the truck. I says to my equally ignernt Hommies, "it's a wonder one of us ain't busted our ### yet" and down I went! I'll tell you what brother. I slid into that water like a greased pig! Come out with my left side covered with mud and my left arm was a muddy stump up to the elbow. Them two jackasses started laughin like a couple of drunk monkeys! With no pride left I laid some old rags on my seat and went home.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Have you ever read the poem by Teddy Roosevelt called "To the Man in the Arena "? It is inspiring, and touching, and makes you wanna "dig DEEP" in the face of critics and adversity...unfortunately, most critics stay home where it`s DRY and WARM, and they ain`t getting EATEN by ticks, `squeeters, leeches, brambles, poison ivy, rabid raccoons, or unsympathetic "friends" that YOU were "nice" enough to offer to "drag along" (I take it at NO cost to themselves) that unfortunately feel under NO terms of "friendship" to keep themselves from absolutely busting out in merriment and abundant humor at your sudden and embarrassing loss of footing...That is why we, as fishermen are constantly implored to take a friend; so that upon just completing some monumentally and potentially eternally memorable mistake, screw up or misstep; there is someone else not to immediately rush to our aid and assist us, but rather to pull out their I Phone moments before and upon the last rocks and debris coming to rest proudly proclaim "I SAW that was going to happen, and I GOT EVERY SECOND of it ! I`m putting it on "You Tube" RIGHT NOW ! That was SSSOOOOOO STUPID of YOU !"

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever read the poem by Teddy Roosevelt called "To the Man in the Arena "? It is inspiring, and touching, and makes you wanna "dig DEEP" in the face of critics and adversity...unfortunately, most critics stay home where it`s DRY and WARM, and they ain`t getting EATEN by ticks, `squeeters, leeches, brambles, poison ivy, rabid raccoons, or unsympathetic "friends" that YOU were "nice" enough to offer to "drag along" (I take it at NO cost to themselves) that unfortunately feel under NO terms of "friendship" to keep themselves from absolutely busting out in merriment and abundant humor at your sudden and embarrassing loss of footing...That is why we, as fishermen are constantly implored to take a friend; so that upon just completing some monumentally and potentially eternally memorable mistake, screw up or misstep; there is someone else not to immediately rush to our aid and assist us, but rather to pull out their I Phone moments before and upon the last rocks and debris coming to rest proudly proclaim "I SAW that was going to happen, and I GOT EVERY SECOND of it ! I`m putting it on "You Tube" RIGHT NOW ! That was SSSOOOOOO STUPID of YOU !"
Thanks Lowell, But the fanciest stuff I ever read was Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. I like Old Teddy but never was much on poetry. I had to read this twice cause your eloquent statement purt near went clean over my head!:confused::D

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
I guess the end to this weird summer weather pattern is in sight. I remember a similar pattern about 10-12 years ago, but it was in early June where you might expect it more...of course I remember it because I was taking two weeks vacation at the time. :(

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'll take this steady rain weather over a drought any day. Didn't get one good vegetable out of my garden last year, this year is looking alot better :D .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.