radio static

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ezbite, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

last few times out my radio has had a lot of static when i turn it on. i thought it was just someone holding the key of their mic down the first time it happened. but yesterday, i turned it on and had the same static. it only does it on the ship to ship chanels, weather channels come in find. i turned on my handheld yesterday and there was no static on it while i was getting it on the onboard radio. its a new radio and antenna, i just got it last year and have had no problems with it until now. anyone have any ideas what to check? thanks for any input.

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

only thing i can think of (you prolly checked it) is the antenna connectio. comming loose?

3. try turning up your squelsh

4. ezbite

thats what i was thinking, but i sodiered(sp?) it in the end that goes into the radio. im thinking maybe the end in the antenna is loose.

squelsh was all the way up.

5. Before the static problem started had you made any changes in any of the electronics or electrical system on the boat? It could very well be electrical or radio interference. You can get interference from outboard motors, trolling motors, depthfinders, am/fm radios, and other marine radios. Talk to the geeks at the local Radio Shack and they may be able to hook you up with a noise suppressor of some sort.

I was striper fishing at Lake Cumberland a few years ago and was slowly trolling with the electric motor with 1 or 2 depth finders on and every once and a while my Shakespeare radio would beep and change channels on its own. The 3 appliances were wired directly to 2 of the 3 batteries on board. I happened to mention it on the gas dock at Lee's Ford and a guy working there said he was a retired, or unemployed, professor of electrical engineering. He suggested I ground all of my batteries together. It may have worked because I haven't had the problem again.

6. downtime8763

downtime8763 Retired UPS

Are you running a live well pump at the same time and if so are the on the same fuse.Helped a friend of mine on his new sea swirl,his radio would turn on his trolling motor when you keyed the mike on high wattage. Had to move the wired trolling motor hand controller to get it to stop.

7. ezbite

no new electronics. i did install a back-up blidge pump this spring, but im thinking i would need it to be running for it to interfeer. yes, no, maybe?

8. You are correct that the pump would need to be running to cause any problem. This is a good one! YThe troubleing part is that you state the weather channels come in clear but other channels have static. You are in receive mode for both of these. I would not worry about the other end of the antenna as I believe it is simply a wire run up the fiberglass pole.
    Just throwing out 1 or 2 things. If your mike attaches make sure it is secure and there is no corrosion. I would recheck the antenna connector that you soldered. Look to see if there are any extra unused wires such as those for a remote speaker that may have lost there insulation. Check the in line fuse to make sure it is not corroded.

9. EZ - Did you solve problem with your radio?