Radio And Antenna Question

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by NUM1FIRE, Sep 4, 2007.

1. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

i just got my 16 ft boat from bassteaser1 from here on ogf and he made a console for this boat. i got me a radio comeing for it and a 8 ft shakespeare xt antenna for it. my question is how close can i mount the antenna to radio before i start havein interference thru the radio from the antenna. im going to mount the radio on top of the console but not sure where i am going to mount the antenna since it will be 8 ft long. here is the link to the boat i just bought
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=22612

any info will be greatly appreciated

2. All the directions that have come with ship to shore radios I've purchased in the past say to mount the antenna no closer than three feet from the radio.

Not being one to follow directions very well, I've probably never mounted an antenna MORE than two feet away from the radio, and I've never experienced any kind of interference.

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

3ft is the common rule. Do not cut the coax length. Keep your excess coax stowed in a coil, don't just bunch it all together.
    Also keep in mind the radio's location to the compass. Too close and it will throw your compass off.

4. NUM1FIRE

ok thanks the only compass i will have is the gps unit that is hooked up to my fishfinder. by the sounds of it i will be mounting my antenna on the left side of the boat with the radio on the right side on top of the console. thanks again

5. if you have a am.fm. radio close to the other radio you might pickup interference

6. KaGee

Shame on you!
    Suppose you're six miles out and it's hazy and your GPS fails? :(

7. NUM1FIRE

kagee was shame on me for a little bit. i didnt think about being that far out and my gps failing me last night when i wrote that until i was at work today and was thinking the same thing. so i do and will have me a compass on my boat before i hit the big pond. thanks for bringing that up though

8. KaGee

Good deal! We get too attached to our electronics sometimes. How in the world did our forefathers ever catch fish?? :D

9. Glad to see you reconsider that compass issue. You can get a backup, old fashioned compass for a few bucks. Put it in the bottom of one of your tackle boxes.......it will always be there if needed.

Electronic fail. Batteries die.

Tuesday we were off the sandbar in Lorain. Very hazey........could not see shore or any other landmarks. My fishin buddy and I guessed where shore was..........and we were pointing in opposite directions.

Sounds like the rig is coming together. Keep asking questions here. There is a lot of knowledge here and people will help ya out.

Best of luck and be safe out there.

10. NUM1FIRE

thanks yeathe boat is comeing along. i hope it doesnt rain sept 15th or 16th i want to hit erie either both or one of them days. i have learned alot since being on this site and i hope i can pass along as much info as i can to help other people.
    and with the 70 hp on this 16ftr she sure does move and suck the gas

11. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

you might want to rethink your mounting place ? most of my fishing is done off the port side ,so i put my antenna on the starboard side so as not to interfere with the dipsey rods . it still is a hassle for the starboard side rods on turns.

12. NUM1FIRE

ok thanks i never thought about. thanks everyone again for all the help