Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BBO
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen anything on here about the Racine bite for wipers?? Anyone having any luck? I'm bout to head back to nelsonville for college and would like to get some good wiper action in before school starts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I caught some there early in the year, but they were all pretty small. My advice, if you fish there, is if you want quality-sized fish, move downstream from the dam a bit. There's about a quarter mile of shoreline to fish from, if you don't mind sitting on some rocks.
If you're willing to drive a little further south, R C Byrd seems to be a better spot for wiper fishing. It's a 1.5 hour drive but if you take a whole day and hit it early, chances are you'll catch something.

·
I am what I eat.
1,615 Posts
Haven't seen anything on here about the Racine bite for wipers??
As far as I know, there hasn't really been a bite at Racine. My friends and I have pretty much gave up on it. Last 3 times I was there was pretty much a waste. We haven't been seeing bait, skipjacks, nothing. Whatever happened seems to have started last year, with catching fewer fish. Besides sauger, it was really noticeable in the fall.

I haven't had as much time to fish this year, but I have been to RC Byrd and Belleville. Caught fish at both places, then stopped at Racine on the way home, and wished I hadn't bothered. We even brought skipjack and shad with us. Hard to imagine 3 or 4 guys using livebait and not getting a bite, not even sheephead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts