close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Raccoons

Discussion in 'Home & Garden' started by c. j. stone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Real problem, getting in my 4 ft high fenced garden, knocking over my sweet corn stalks, take one bite til they figure out the corn is not yet formed in the husks! They got all SIX of my peaches on a young tree last year before they were ready! More on there this year. Looking for some non-lethal(wife is an animal lover!) deterrants. Might try electric fencer on the wire? Heard they will shy away from "cinnamon/mint" essental oils placed about? Pls. No recommendations using poisons. I have a Havahart trap but that is not viable(just moves the problem to another location/illegal/ since she won't let me dispatch them)!

2. I had a problem with raccoons years ago. I learned something. They are afraid of skunks. I also learned skunks are great to have around, and they love cheetos, as i could hand feed them. Just don't make them mad...
    Your going to have to trap them, or call pest control.

3. The only way I could keep them out was to put an old transistor radio in there. Tuned in to an all night talk show and let it run. Last of my problems!

stump jumper and hatteras1 like this.
  4. I know they hate the smell of moth balls. I like the radio idea also!

5. Hey Charlie; Use the trap then a small Pill about 22 caliber. Worked for me and should work for you.

crappiedude, Doboy and bobk like this.
  6. If you do trap them I do not think you can legally release them alive.

crappiedude likes this.
  7. I trap mine with a can of catfood. Put a tarp over the cage. They like cover. I drop mine off about 20 miles away on the other side of a large river lowest part. No chance of them coming back and they have planty to eat.

8. I used to trap and dispose them but it got to the point of ridiculous. I was trapping and shooting one every morning and throw it in the woods behind our house. The smell was just awful and you couldn't even go outside without being eaten up by flies.
    The radio, motion sensor lights, mothballs or Irish soap were just laughable.....The only really effective way I found was the electric fence!

crappiedude and Lazy 8 like this.
  9. It is illegal to turn loose the trapped animal without permission from the landowner. You are just adding to someone else's problem by blindly turning them out. They are way over target population in most areas ; do the right thing & dispatch them or call a nuisance trapper & he'll do your dirty work for you.

Lazy 8 and bobk like this.
  10. use marshmallows and you wont catch skunks or cats. Coons love em.

Lowerider1029 likes this.
  11. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Yeah, yeah, I know! Groundhogs the same way. One year we were up to our clavicles in 'coons! I must have live trapped and relocated a couple dozen of them.

And it wasn't like I was dumping them in a someone's back yard. I took them to rural areas with big woods where, hopefully, the critters could make a living for themselves, just not in my back yard!

Same with the groundhogs, although the source of that problem turned out to be a government entity. The Mahoning Valley Sanitary District, our drinking water supplier, has a small reservoir in a park a block from me. The embankments for the impoundment had turned into a groundhog farm! They were riddled with burrows.

This Spring they had a crew out there with some sort of gizmo. I think they were gassing the 'hogs in their burrows. Haven't seen a 'hog this whole year!

Amazing how government agencies are allowed to manage their pest problems, while we citizens who pay the bills are not!

Lazy 8 likes this.
  12. You can just ask any old woman with land you do not want to euthanize the raccoon and more than likely get permission.

13. Don't know where you live but in my neck of the woods you'd be thrown off their property. I'll ask again, why transfer your problem to someone else, deal with it !!!!

PromiseKeeper and Lazy 8 like this.
  14. bobk

bobk

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Skippy and T-180 like this.
  15. Guy said in the original post his wife said no killing the raccoon. He has his orders. He can either move it to someone elses who doesnt care, or leave it wreck his farm. Relocation is his best option. Hopefully by water where the raccoon can resort to fishing instead of destroying someones property.

16. The issue with relocation has nothing to do with "transferring the problem," but rather moving an animal that could potentially be infected with rabies or some other communicable wildlife disease. Now you just moved the disease to an area where it may not exist.

17. The OP already acknowledged what a few of us are saying ; do NOT transfer the problem to someone else. Those coon will travel significant distances for their favorite foods, sweetcorn being a major one, even if you are so kind as to drop them off by a stream where they can fish. Dealing with the problem correctly may seem harsh to some, but this isn't a Disney movie.
    To the OP, electric fencing is about your only non lethal option that will consistently work, but those coon will not give up easily.

backfar and Lazy 8 like this.
  18. . You may want to set some traps inside the electric fence to see if any get through.

19. You can almost be sure that it's a coon if the damage is done at night. Even with the electric fence you have to work at it to deter skunks, possums or even groundhogs....... You have to keep it low so that they cross over top of the wire and get nailed in their softer underbelly. I watched a hog get nailed a couple weeks ago, he jumped about 2 feet in the air and hasn't been back since.
    Coons are easy, once they get shocked they'll never return and even tell their friends about it!

crappiedude and Lazy 8 like this.
  20. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Uncle Timbo.....commercial seed trader......

I hate coons and coyotes. They're both scavengers. Although, won't the coyotes, eat the coons?

PromiseKeeper and backfar like this.