close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

raccoons in garden

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 10 more minutes, Jul 26, 2007.

1. any ideas on how to keep them out.

2. get rid of them!! trap or .22 or a mean dog!! if it was my little garden i know what i would do!! my neighbor has caught 5 in a trap this year.my city has a game warden that will lend you a trap!!

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

electric fence will work as well if you set it up right

4. This works for me. Coons use to raid my corn a week before it was ready & drove me crazy. Tried all kinds of stuff but it was a hassle & nothing seemed to work. An old timer told me to get a cheap transister radio. Turn it on low on a all night talk channel "1100am" at dusk & turn it off in the morning. Haven't had aproblem in years. Put it in a box wrapped in plastic in case of rain.

5. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

coon + gun = problem solved.

flash----------------------------out

6. We raise about 1/2 acre sweet corn every year...coons love it. The best deterrent is whatever gun is handy, but a double strand electric fence set at 4" and 8" off the ground keeps the varmints out.

Tim

7. if you want them dead, poison them with "Golden Malrin"(it's fly bait), just put a bowl out with coke or pepsi and put a small spoonful of the Malrin in it, they are usually dead with in 10 yds. Be careful if you have pets though, some might drink it, and die.

8. Golden Marlin will sure do the trick!!

9. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

I had a big problem with cats(giant litterbox) and bunnies(buffet bar). I used an electric fence and no more critters

10. I don't suggest using any types of poisons placed in bowls!! You could possibly poison many other unintentional species and who's to say what else may be affected down the food chain. In fact I would be pretty sure it's illegal.

11. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

my grandparents use to put a few red globed railroad lanterns around their garden at night time! it supposedly did the job.

12. If your going to use an electric fence do one thing to get the "garden robbers" used to it...place aluminum foil on every strand between every post and smear them with peanut butter...we put our wire at 8"and 30"
    last year we had 2 acres of sweet corn and got 3 doz with no wire...this year no deer or coon damage has been detected, but I have seen some tracks outside the fence leading up to the hot wire...but none inside it

13. i also used a cheap radio (5 bucks @ walmart). it did the job. no more damage.

14. I heard if you sprinkle epson salt on and around the garden it will keep any pesky animals out of your garden. They don't like the better taste, and it's suppose to be good for the plants.

15. My Mother has had a heck of a time this year with squirrels in her flowers(digging them up) its almost a daily thing for her, I would suggest trapping them..probably only 1 or 2 of them that are causing the majority of your problems..get them out of there and you might be homefree.