Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is very long (got a ear full last time when I posted twice in a row on the same subject ) lol and this is just a observation a opinion (no opinion is wrong it belongs to you ) and if you don't like the opinion expressed feel free to do one of the two following things read it all and give your opinion yah or nay or pass it by if you just want to complain about grammar length The Debbie Downer commits I welcome a good discussion I don't get offended Hell I've been married three times I'm used to catching He{{ and fish

I heard that a few members feel if they pay more for license we would get more I for one say BS I have been a Hunter and angler for over 50 years paid every fee, license, permits, paid every increase and will do so in the future But when I hear lets give them more money so they will make improvements for us Sportsmen All I can think is Smoke another Beer I fish local lakes for me That's Berlin, Deer Creek (stark co) Walborn Lake Park (What a joke) As far as Lake park goes money goes to Milton Oh I know what a few will say about Berlin NEW Boat Ramp Big deal for years the two Boat ramps at Fewtown rd closed Rt 14 closed for years Watson Rd closed for years The one on Price street closed and when it was open No repairs No improvements Horrible seen people winch there trucks out Hunting parking Lots hahahahaha

Deer Creek New Ramp and parking lot nice They have a nice Walking trail tell me what it costs for a walking permit but Walk to the lake though the park get your feet soaked from the lack of drainage parking lot down from park need a 4x4 to climb out of the bottom of that No parking along the causeway yes I know a child got killed by a car that is why their solution you park in the lot and carry all the gear a 1/4 mile down the road with children that you can't hold their hand because your carrying gear and cars going 60 MPH in a area that should be 25 MPH and enforced

THIS IS NOT A RANT IT IS A WAKE UP CALL Don't offer more you are not going to get more and I know that walking trails get funds elsewhere yes it costs a boat load of money for improvements But figure how many hunters fisherman x License permits fee's that's a ton of money and before I forget I want to thank the state for FREE LICENSE for any one 83 years old (hunting) 82 (fishing) grab that money heaven forbid anyone 65 or older get a freebee guess they haven't paid enough dues by 65 oh by the way there is some nice land if ya want to build a home across from Deer Creek Res yeah it's the Hunting grounds we used to hunt on Do I have answers NO BUT don't talk about paying more for such Miss management Haven't we paid enough

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I’ve read your post twice and still can’t grasp your message. Not a Debbie Downer just can’t decipher what your point is.
heard some of the member say they would pay more for license because we would get improvements I disagree look what's happing hunting land getting sold off free hunting license for a 83 year old ??? I'm saying we are paying enough without suggesting paying more

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
The loss of hunting property is disgusting. We used to hunt a few areas that were actually very good. But I guess money talks, once had over 200+acres that went to 15 acres!?
Fishing? That's another complex subject. My views are very different. The lack of enforcement on many lakes is a joke. Unless you're Fishing the Walleye run,you can count on people getting away with absolutely anything! Because they know that no one is going to be there to catch them. Just look at Mogadore; a$$ holes trying to burn down the islands, trashed Lansinger Rd. Happens all over the place. I understand that there aren't enough law enforcement, how about they take some of "OUR"money and train people that need a good job. And free licenses for people over 80!? I'll be lucky to live that long let alone hunting and fishing. 70 is a good starting point. There is quite a bit to discuss about this post. There are certain types of people that absolutely do not care about the laws of the outdoors. Make examples of these people and let's see how they like that.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It burns my A$$ that anyone would suggest raising the cost of license

I guess there are some people have more money then sense some live around lakes that are state parks that get a lot of attention money wise so I guess those people have their heads in the sand they don't care as long as it doesn't effect them

I know a lot of older people that can't afford to live and the State charging for a hunting license up to the age of 83 years old and charging fishing license to the age of 82 then its free This isn't right most of these people have a hard time getting around and the State will find money to put in a walking trail but not find money to fund better access to lake and waterways that aren't State parks

And before I continue for those who don't like two posts in a row on the same subject and want to complain Stop reading and go walk the dog or pet the cat I'm explaining it again for anyone who didn't get it

Bottom line is Money we pay now from fees license is not managed very good too many areas are neglected Hunting areas sold to build houses and where is that money going is it going to stay in that area? We as Sportsmen need to keep our sport alive I have No answers only more questions

Reactions: one3

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The loss of hunting property is disgusting. We used to hunt a few areas that were actually very good. But I guess money talks, once had over 200+acres that went to 15 acres!?
Fishing? That's another complex subject. My views are very different. The lack of enforcement on many lakes is a joke. Unless you're Fishing the Walleye run,you can count on people getting away with absolutely anything! Because they know that no one is going to be there to catch them. Just look at Mogadore; a$$ holes trying to burn down the islands, trashed Lansinger Rd. Happens all over the place. I understand that there aren't enough law enforcement, how about they take some of "OUR"money and train people that need a good job. And free licenses for people over 80!? I'll be lucky to live that long let alone hunting and fishing. 70 is a good starting point. There is quite a bit to discuss about this post. There are certain types of people that absolutely do not care about the laws of the outdoors. Make examples of these people and let's see how they like that.
exactly you get it some people have rose color glasses on mismanagement totally agree with you

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,456 Posts
Canada also takes vehicles and has 10k fines for any speed 50kM over the limit. Of course here in USA they arent allowed to chase anyone. Not sure how that works in canada. Seems here there isnt much punishment for those that dont follow laws

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Here in WV once you hit 65 there's a one time $25 fee for a lifetime license and to me, that's pretty sweet.
Got to be 83 to fish free in Ohio? That's a crime and a dam shame.
To fish Ohio, we pay $120/yr for our non-resident license and that's lots more than a resident license.

I am 71 and it's getting tough for me to get out even though I have a great car and boat. This old body wears out way to fast these days...someone in their 80's that can still get around to fish? God Bless them!! JMO

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I'd gladly pay double or even triple the cost of a license to hunt and fish it wouldn't bother me a bit. You can't do much of anything for $20 a year. I look at the state parks in SW Ohio and I continually see improvements.
To me money has always been a touchy subject. If you don't have enough...go get more.
Before I'd get on an open forum and complain about a few dollars in increases or anything money related I think I'd get a part time job and make a little cash so I could afford to do what I want. Lots of opportunities to do that.
Of course that's not possible, everyone is disabled. I can drag a deer, haul my fishing stuff, run the woods ect but I can't go to work. Can you tell, I'm not sympathetic.
I'll never apply for a free license, I'll pay my way.
I like all the hiking trails I say build more.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
It burns my A$$ that anyone would suggest raising the cost of license

I guess there are some people have more money then sense some live around lakes that are state parks that get a lot of attention money wise so I guess those people have their heads in the sand they don't care as long as it doesn't effect them

I know a lot of older people that can't afford to live and the State charging for a hunting license up to the age of 83 years old and charging fishing license to the age of 82 then its free This isn't right most of these people have a hard time getting around and the State will find money to put in a walking trail but not find money to fund better access to lake and waterways that aren't State parks

And before I continue for those who don't like two posts in a row on the same subject and want to complain Stop reading and go walk the dog or pet the cat I'm explaining it again for anyone who didn't get it

Bottom line is Money we pay now from fees license is not managed very good too many areas are neglected Hunting areas sold to build houses and where is that money going is it going to stay in that area? We as Sportsmen need to keep our sport alive I have No answers only more questions
The cost of everything goes up over time...needed or not.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It was Waterfowl hunters who asked for the federal stamp to generate funds to protect and improve wetlands that are essential to the sport we love....It keeps going up we keep paying. The only complaint i have is that bird watchers often complain about access and hunters when they aren't required to have the stamp when visiting a refuge of wildlife area to enjoy what was provided and maintained by hunters dollars.

It was a suggestion that was necessary to protect what we have, and if that burns your a$$ so be it

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I would gladly pay $100 for the privilege to fish and $100 for the privilege to hunt in Ohio as things are now.
I'm certain I fish more than 100 times each season and hunt nearly half that many times. It literally(at today's cost) comes down to pennys per trip.
Buy a movie ticket-- 17 dollars for 2 hrs. Coffee- more than $1 a cup-
Gas $2 a gallon-- your license is the best bargain you're gonna get in my opinion.
Things aren't perfect but things look pretty good to me.
Good luck and good fishing.

·
"My grace is sufficient for you"
11,776 Posts
Here's an idea...heavily discount fishing/hunting license fees for all that served and were honorably discharged from the military and raise the fee for those that didn't to compensate for the difference.
It's the least we could do...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Here is my personal opinion. Much of the land that the State buys and maintains comes from hunting and fishing money. Then they build dog parks, walking trails, etc. on these lands that are not hunting and fishing related. There should be a fee to visit these parks if you do not have a current hunting or fishing license.

A simple state park pass thats the cost of a yearly fishing license. They could follow the rules of a fishing license too, each adult over 16 needs one, kids under do not. This could raise a ton of money for the state parks, and get some of these people that the state caters to, to pay their fair share.

·
assassin
193 Posts
heard some of the member say they would pay more for license because we would get improvements I disagree look what's happing hunting land getting sold off free hunting license for a 83 year old ??? I'm saying we are paying enough
To me it's a personal preference-go get a burger,fries and a beer and you have $20+ including tip for an hour or less I can fish or hunt All day sometimes get skunked and still enjoy it.has anything come down in price in the last 5 yrs?

·
Fishin-For-Fun
1,904 Posts
It was Waterfowl hunters who asked for the federal stamp to generate funds to protect and improve wetlands that are essential to the sport we love....It keeps going up we keep paying. The only complaint i have is that bird watchers often complain about access and hunters when they aren't required to have the stamp when visiting a refuge of wildlife area to enjoy what was provided and maintained by hunters dollars.

It was a suggestion that was necessary to protect what we have, and if that burns your a$$ so be it
i want to see big signs on every location paid for and maintained by hunt and fish $$. let people know we have paid for this... and they are our guests...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts