close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Quiting Smokeing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Phil Carver, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Well after months of debating with myself , I finally convenced myself that it was time for me to quit smokeing . I decided that since I had tried a few different ways in the past with no end result , to look into some different options . I have heard great success stories of acupuncture . I had looked into a lazer process that was similar to acupuncture and decided that this was the route that I was going to try this time . So last Thursday , I went in and went through the process . All I can say is that either it works or I am just afraid to see myself waste the money that I had spent . LOL Ok , all kidding aside . This has been the easiest that quiting has ever been for me . I do not have the cravings at all for the nicotine and the mental part of it has been actually kind of comical this time . Any time that I have thought about wanting a smoke , I just laugh and tell myself that I have to be kidding . The urge goes away in about 3 seconds and I am good to go for a few more hours .

So in conclusion , I am actually proud to say that I do not smoke ! :)

2. Congrats!! That's GREAT!

I'm inspired....but scared to DEATH of lasers.

Where can I find more info?

My Dad just had a triple bypass and I promised I would quit but It's proved more difficult than I thought.

3. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Way to go man! I should quit but I haven't taken that leap of faith yet. Stay strong!!

4. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I hear ya, Congrats on quitting.

I need the needle treatment, hypnosis, something...I can't afford this crap anymore.

5. Phil Carver

6. Chuck P.

I have to ask, what did the treatment cost ya?

7. Phil Carver

The treatment cost me $225.00 , But if it continues to keep working , It was WELL WORTH IT ! :)

8. Chuck P.

Compared to the cost of smoking and related health costs, that's not bad at all.

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

WTG Phil

I also quite i have not had a smoke since i bought the new bike on fathers day just cold turkey and all in all it has not been bad but i have a new harley as my insperation.

10. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Quittings easy, just have a doctor tell you that you have devoloped asthma from it, you'll quit on the spot! Thats what happened to me, and even though the doctor was wrong, I don't have asthma, I still quit the day he told me! (April '06.:) )

BTW..Congrats!! Now stick with it! Its good to have food taste like it should and not hacking up a lung every morning!

11. Good Luck hope you see it through. My boss had the lazer and was smoking with in hours afterwards. The main thing is you really have to want to quit.

12. fishnfool

fishnfool out4dabig1

I've smoked and drank for about 18 years, and I have unsuccessfully quit a thousand times,I've had my battles with alot of different things but I can honestly say that the smokes are the hardest I've ever contended with.I love to drink beer but I love to drink beer and smoke cigs, so I decided that in order to quit the smokes that are killing me and making me feel old,is that I'll have to quit both,well It hasn't been that hard so far.It's been two weeks and I've slipped up once, because I just had to have a beer,then I just had to have a smoke.But over all I think I'm doing pretty good. Ihope you stick with it and anyone else who wants to quit. you either do or you don't

13. I don't smoke.... but I chew Skoal. I have tried to quit for my wife. she thinks it is disgusting, but if quitting smoking is half as hard as quitting chewing... I know what you are going through. I wake up in the morning, put a dip in, and the only time I take it out is when I go to bed.... if I even do that. I work all day with one in, and I have present a professional appearance, so you will never see me spit. I can just imagine what my lip and stomach look like on the inside.

Congrats on quitting... maybe the lazer works for chewing too!?!?!?

14. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

Amen on the Skoal. I too had a dip in all day long in an office environment (never spit). I have quit both smoking and dipping. Dipping was the hardest. Get done eating and reach for that can even a year later. No dip for several years now but smoking again. I think I never really quit nicotine - just kept switching how I took it in.

I'm working right now on getting my mind set on giving up the smokes. I saw a new Dr. yesterday that mentioned a new drug on the market to block the receptors that crave the nicotine while stimulating other receptors. Supposedly even if you do smoke you don't get the enjoyment like before. I dunno - skeptical I guess. The main thing is getting your head right to quit.

15. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

congrads...i had to quit drinking before i was able to quit the cancer sticks.

16. Juls

Juls Charter Captain

Congrats! Keep it up!

I know what you're going through. I had tried to quit many times before too.
    Finally, after 25 years of smoking, I quit back on Oct. 23rd, 2006. It's been 8 months since I had a cigg.
    Like another poster here, I too had to quit drinking when I quit smoking. One goes with the other, and I found it impossible to have a drink without REALLY wanting a cigg, so I quit both.

I went a with the "Smoke-Away" program. It's an all natural herbal remedy/system that takes the toxins out of your system within three days. If you can get past the first three days, it definitely works. The cravings are GONE, and it's only your habits you need to change.

Another thing I did to help me stop, was I started a diet and exercise program right away too. It helps a lot. When I would feel myself wanting a cigg for whatever reason, I would put on my walking shoes and take the dogs for a 2 mile walk (they couldn't be happier). Once the endorphins kicked in, the "wanting" would pass.

I know now, that I am past the danger of ever lighting up again. I know I would kick my own butt if that ever happened, and quite frankly, I'm scared of me. heheh

In order to be successful, you really have to WANT to quit, or it won't work. The more days that pass without smoking the more proud you will be of yourself, and the stronger you will be against it's pull.

It really is an addiction, and one of the hardest to quit.
    I ENJOYED smoking, but I like breathing and living more. I also like that I do not smell like an ashtray anymore either. ;)

Juls

17. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Congratulations Phil!

That is a good life choice. Think of all the money you will save. Maybe you can afford some bass fishing lessons from me now ;)

18. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Glad to hear that Phil.
    It's now been 2 1/2 years for me and I still have no desire at all. I quit cold turkey!! After a few days the thought just went away. Now I have to figure out just how to slow my tackle buying down:D

19. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

keep it up!
    the money that you'll save is really secondary compared to the years you'll add to your life and how much better you'll feel!
    i have almost 2 years under my belt now and i sure could tell how much better my breathing was last deer season while walking up and down those vinton county hills!:)

20. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Good job Phil!
    That lazer treatment is cheaper than I though.
    Now you can use all that money you are saving and spend it on fishing tackle.