Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you ever got sucked down into it? Many years ago I almost died down by the mahoning river, I was frog gigging and stepped on a turtle (yes I felt it move) so I went after it.. stepped into a ditch and went in to my chest immediately, I felt nothing below my feet. Only reason I'm still alive is because of a 10 foot gig

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I find it around here. Went thigh deep last year. We have sandy rivers fed by underground springs.
The notion of sinking is a myth.

It is impossible for a human to sink entirely into quicksand[3] due to the higher density of the fluid (assuming the quicksand is on dry ground and not underwater, but even if underwater, sinking is still improbable). Quicksand has a density of about 2 grams per milliliter, whereas the density of the human body is only about 1 gram per milliliter. At that level of density, sinking beyond about waist height in quicksand is impossible

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find it around here. Went thigh deep last year. We have sandy rivers fed by underground springs.

It is impossible for a human to sink entirely into quicksand[3] due to the higher density of the fluid (assuming the quicksand is on dry ground and not underwater, but even if underwater, sinking is still improbable). Quicksand has a density of about 2 grams per milliliter, whereas the density of the human body is only about 1 gram per milliliter. At that level of density, sinking beyond about waist height in quicksand is impossible
Well I know I sank and was able to roll out using my gig and your density doesn't take in consideration clothing and boots.. hmm

·
Registered
185 Posts
you ever got sucked down into it? Many years ago I almost died down by the mahoning river, I was frog gigging and stepped on a turtle (yes I felt it move) so I went after it.. stepped into a ditch and went in to my chest immediately, I felt nothing below my feet. Only reason I'm still alive is because of a 10 foot gig
I got a bulldozer stuck in quicksand once. I remember Standing on it and being ok but once the surface tension was broken you just kept sinking. Very interesting stuff.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well I know I sank and was able to roll out using my gig and your density doesn't take in consideration clothing and boots.. hmm
Well he got that on the internet, so it must be true.

I don't believe him, people sank under all the time, unless you were a hot chick and Tarzan was around to save you! He may have let you go EZ. :D

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Well he got that on the internet, so it must be true.

I don't believe him, people sank under all the time, unless you were a hot chick and Tarzan was around to save you! He may have let you go EZ. :D

I also have a bit of experience with the stuff. It's not uncommon in these parts. I usually can avoid it. When the bottom is sandy and the water is very cold, avoid.
Cows get stuck in it quite frequently here.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I also have a bit of experience with the stuff. It's not uncommon in these parts. I usually can avoid it. When the bottom is sandy and the water is very cold, avoid.
Cows get stuck in it quite frequently here.
Honestly not questioning your info, if it were in fact deadly I'm sure we would hear much more about it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Saw a promising area to hunt in Egypt Valley. Open field leading to a large forested hillside with briar area on one side. Me and my buddies were making our way towards the hillside and had to jump over a “creek.” I had my climber on with my backpack attached. I lept to the other side and immediately sank waist deep, my climber stopped me from going any deeper. My other buddy was starting to make the walk and saw me from a distance. All he could see was my shoulders and head. . Laughable at the time but by myself, not so much. Think it had to do with mining. To get across we found a “pool” on one end with firm enough sides to walk on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang Susan, where do you came up with this stuff? 4 in the morning..... Whole bottle of Tito's??
Because I just got back from frog gigging and saw the quicksand that almost got me many years ago.. get off your couch sally and do something other than web surf.. it's really not an exercise bahahahaa

·
Registered
11,394 Posts

Beg to differ with you on that as I was wading a lake and was unable to get out of the muck. Each time I tried I sank a little further. I was up to my armpits when my fishing parter finally head my cries for help. I was 145# and lucky for me he was a 230# wrestler. He broke a limb off a tree and managed to pull me out. Took about fifteen minutes to do so.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,845 Posts
Myth busters did a demonstration. Watch on YouTube. No sink.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
I don't know if that's the video I saw, but it was demonstrated to go on your back and backstroke your way out of it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Beg to differ with you on that as I was wading a lake and was unable to get out of the muck. Each time I tried I sank a little further. I was up to my armpits when my fishing parter finally head my cries for help. I was 145# and lucky for me he was a 230# wrestler. He broke a limb off a tree and managed to pull me out. Took about fifteen minutes to do so.

WOW! Good thing you weren't 6' tall, he'd never got you out. I've been in mud up to my knees with waders on and had a heck of a time getting out. Thought I was going to have to leave the waders and come out bare footed.:eek:

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
every body knows belden village mall. back on the south side is a pond. in the bottom of that pond theres a bulldozer. seen it when it was half down, bunch of equipt and men tried to save it, come midnight it was gone. I used to have the sohio station on everhard rd, watched the hole thing.

·
Registered
185 Posts

WOW! Good thing you weren't 6' tall, he'd never got you out. I've been in mud up to my knees with waders on and had a heck of a time getting out. Thought I was going to have to leave the waders and come out bare footed.:eek:
Quicksand isn’t really muck, it’s more like the consistency of wet concrete.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I got stuck at mogadore by the dike up to my pockets, never been that stuck ever, it took quite awhile to slowly inch my way to shore, thought I was going to loose the waders and belly crawl out through the muck..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
I remember the bulldozer event. Saw it about midday. And people laughed at the man who bought that property :oops:. They quite laughing when he made a ton of money :D!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts