close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

quick truck question (running cold)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hardwaterfan, Aug 23, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

quick truck question (03 chevy 1500)

its running "cold" (wont get up to about 210....stays around 180)

it could ONLY be the thermostat, right?

been a LONG time since i changed one, cant remember the tricks. i know it should be easy. comes with the gaskets i think?

If anyone want to give any advice im listening ;)

2. Get the correct thermostat from autozone or where ever. Usually only a few bucks. Not too sure it has gaskets. I think there's a rubber seal on the thermostat and you should use RTV compound on the thermostat housing when you bolt it back on the top of the intake manifold. What temperature should your thermostat open on the 03 Chev? update: after some searching, there is a housing gasket, $0.54 at the first online store I found.

3. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if your upper hose is hard when first running your engine...your water pump is pushing water through the thermostat. If it is mushy the thermostat hasn't opened yet and there is no flow through it. If running cold, perhaps it is open all the time. I would think it would heat up enough after time though, especially when it was 90 the other day.

4. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Get a new thermostat. They come with a gasket but you should use a little RTV ( room temperature vulcanization ) also.

5. I know this is a bumb ? but doea it have enough antifreeze in it?If so then thermostat.Not too hard to change 15 mm socket if I recall right.

6. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I was under the impression 180 degrees was the standard operating temperture rating on the stock thermostat with 190 being the optional rating. So you're saying that the truck normally operates at 220...???
    Also, if you replace the thermo, I wouldn't use RTV (Room Temperture Vinyl). It is not heat resistant. A better choice is a very thin bead of form-a-gasket like Mr. Gasket on both sides of the fiberous gasket that should come with the new thermosat.

7. Should be a split o/ring type of seal,unless the surface is rough sealer is not needed :)

8. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Sounds like the decades old GM design has changed. ;) It figures, the old one woked great. :D

9. hardwaterfan

thanks for the info everyone! im no mechanic so i like to read up about stuff before i try to do anything.

there were no major suprises and only a little bloodshed. ;)

its a 13mm for the bolts and i had to unhook an alternator wire and a bracket for some cables to make room.

i used a 3' peice of bulk 5/16" ID clear hose to drain the radiator. it was only about 60 cents at lowes. 3/8" ID might have worked too, it was a tight fit but it worked well.

i filled up old milk jugs so it was easy to know how much coolant to put back in. (2 gal. exactly)

there was no coolant that spilled as the housing was opened.

there was no old gasket material or sealant inside the housing so i didnt put any back in.

there is a split o ring around the thermostat which compresses and seals (i hope) the connection.

thanks again for the advice.

10. Good job. After doing a few things around the engine of those trucks, you'll be able to do almost everything. A hayne's or chilton's manual will be invaluable. The fact it is an '03 means you won't have one available for a couple years though. I've been able to go to a dealership and view their service manuals before, but am unsure if the local ones will be as accomodating...seeing as though a good bit of money comes from the service department.

11. hardwaterfan

yes, i looked for a haynes but they dont have one available yet which is beyond me! :confused:

i looked for chilton at the library with no luck.

a dealer book is like $120 which is absurd.

i forgot to mention to the query about the proper operating temp, its 210 for this truck.