close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Quick question?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bubba bass bigfoot, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

When do you fish?
    I fish mainly in the afternoon (11-dark, its suppose to be a bad time) Have the best luck late evening (numbers and fish caught with in a cast or two), but get bigger fish afternoon early evening.

I am going to be fishing early morning this weekend (Thinking of getting up 4-4:30 and out on the water before sunrise, really don't ever do this) for SM on the Darby. Just to see if my luck will be any better.

So when do you fish, for what ever?

I'm guessing the most of you fish early morning.

2. fshnfreak

fshnfreak I fish therefore I am!!

well we have a few gin clear old quarries around here and the best time i have found to fish them is at night. i use mainly dark colored baits so the fish can make out the outline. they have both LM and SM bass still have better luck with the big ones after dark. just keep in mind bass fishing at night is a whole different ball game. i have also fished the river here after dark wading with small buzzbaits and done fairly well. just a lil tricky walkin around a rocky bottom after dark. lol but to answer your question this time of year i fish mainly from an hour before sunrise until about 9-10 am depending on the bite and from about 5pm till dark.

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Anytime I can!

In the summer months I tend to stick to low light conditions. Real early or real late. I have been fishing alot at night this year too.

It just isn't relaxing to me anymore when I'm baking in 90+ heat and catching very few fish

4. Bubba bass bigfoot

pretty much what i do. I dont really fish the mornings, do they seem to be better than the evening?

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

IMO it all depends on the weather/water levels. Smallies seem to feast in the morning during periods of low water/extreme heat. I've gone out and caught a dozen+ quality Smallies in the Am, only to get skunked later on the evening (in the same strech).

Once a cold front blows through (which often times brings rain / increased water levels) the bite seems to pick up in the evening hours too, however the AM bite is still typically better. I might add that the evening bite really seems to start around 8:00pm, peaking around 9:00

Overall the morning is the best time to fish for Smallies . As i've said before, if you hit any productive stream in central Ohio @ 6:00am and don't get at least one 16"+ Smallie within the first hour something is up.

And another thing, lately there has been alot of talk about "finding the deeper holes". Smallies will hold SHALLOW in the wee hours of the morning (as long as there is deep water close by). Last week I caught one 16" and missed another huge hit in the shallow water directly after (or still "in") a riffle. I went back and measured the depth of riffle and it was about ankle deep, maybe 9" top. The biggest challenge is finding a presentation that will stay supspended in 9" of water, I used a FAT 1/16oz 4" tube and it still hit the bottom within seconds!! (I got the strikes by immediately reeling once the tube hit the water..no jigging what so ever). That brings up another point: always wade upstream in the Am, that way you won't spook super shallow fish :)

Not sure about everyone else, but IME the bite will start when the sky is blue, and end around 9-10:00am, get on the water a 1/2 hour before sunrise: any earlier and your just losing sleep ;)

6. Very informative post Thanks...I mainly fish the evenings and early mornings(but not before 6AM lately) thats something Im going to have to try, the bulk of my smallie fishing the last month has been after dark matter of fact.

7. I also go whenever I can, but majority of trips are in afternoon & evening. Although I have managed to catch at least some smallies during the hottest part of the afternoon, my biggest fish have come in evening. Probably from 5 or 6 till 8 or 9. The 17 inch smallie came at about 7.
    I would also think the early morning should be good. I just usually don't feel like getting up that early on a Saturday!

8. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

throughout the summer i would predominatly stick to fishing any weather front. during stable conditions, mid day wont offer a much action because the fish will normally be nuetral or un-active.

as someone said below the smallies will use rapids to hunt/forage.
    floating rapala or zara spooks worked quicky across the head and tail sections will produce aggressive strikes. these fish area's are often overlooked.

9. Bubba bass bigfoot