Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to wade upstream or downstream? we normaly wade downstream and do great but thinking of changing for this trip.
thanks for the help/

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
its better to wade upstream, therefor you don't muck up any water and the fish will usually be facing upstream and you can get behind them and cast to them.

·
Just a blind man trying to catch a fish!!!!!!
1,978 Posts
I like to wade up stream that way i can float back down stream:D , but I always do better wading down stream..

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
Wading upstream makes more noise and takes a lot more effort. I usually go downstream as slowly and quietly as possible and try to stay out of the current as much as possible. Stay on the opposite side of where you want to cast to and you can still make most of your casts upstream.

There can also be some benefit to stirring up the creek a bit. You are also stirring up food and getting the predators ready for a meal.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I hate to go against the current, and thread, in this situation, but Streamstalker is dead on about stirring up a creek. One of the best kept secrets of some of the older folks who have been doin this for years. Up or down, you still have to stalk each hole quietly and plan an approach.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I primarily wade upstream and cast upstream when stream fishing. I've always done this because of reading an article that says fish face upstream. This way my lure comes downstream with the current. If I do wade downstream, I will still cast upstream or across the stream and let the current swing my lure where I want it to go. There is advantages/disadvantages to each.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts