close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Quick opinons!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swantucky, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Caught my 1st steelhead tonight fishing Erie off Luna Pier, over 24". To ount or not to mount???

2. I would say not to mount. Thats a really nice fish but steelhead get much larger than that. my buddy just caught a 13 lb steelhead out of fairport last weekend that was 32 inches and I caught a steelhead that was 26 inches on monday. I am in no way trying to put down your fish. Any steelhead over 20 inches is a nice fish. Just wait until the fall when you will land one over 30 inches. Then you will have a huge fish to mount. Congrats on the nice steelhead. Bet it was a blast to catch.

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

congrads on your first steel. save your cash until its at least 30 inches:p i guarantee you'll remember and want to mount that one.

4. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Congratulations! Once you've caught your first, usually it means you'll start targeting them more. And while that is a healthy fish, it shouldn't be too hard to exceed that with a little targeted effort. If you got a nice picture, just blow that up and frame it - can keep replacing the picture with bigger fish til ya get the one you want to mount.

Having said that, it's your fish and someone will always catch a bigger one no matter what size you get... and someone will always get a prettier one, or one with more girth, etc etc... So it's your catch to prize and cherish, I say do what ya want, and base that on what the catch means to you.

Once again congratz! I've fished Luna Pier many times when I lived in Toledo and never saw one caught there!

5. Thanks guys. I've never targeted them nor caught one before so it was pretty exciting. We were fishing 22 fow, I was casting an Erie Dearie and deadsticking one of my buddies homemade "weapons". We were only catching sheephead and white perch and decided to move. I started a slow retrive on the deadstick and bam he blasted it. It did'nt feel like an eye or a sheepie, I did'nt even bother calling for the net untill I saw it. It made 3 runs after it saw the boat. Luckily my buddie got the net under it when he did, the hook popped out and was almost straight!!!

I decided not to get it mounted and gave it to my buddie to cook up in some pasta recipe he has been wanting to try.

6. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

You guys do realize that a Steelie on this end of the pond is extremely rare. We only get a handful in a season. I've never caught one, and I don't personally know any one who has.

Could be wrong, but I think his idea is more to preserve the moment, not necessarily the size of the fish.

Way to go Swantucky!