Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one run a barrel swivel while jigging? I seemed to fight line twist from the jig all weekend. I don't like to have more connections than neccessary, but it was a pain stopping and letting the jig unwind.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to do that. I did it when I was out on the lake last week, thanks to the suggestion from Rutty!.

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Does any one run a barrel swivel while jigging? I seemed to fight line twist from the jig all weekend. I don't like to have more connections than neccessary, but it was a pain stopping and letting the jig unwind.
It is a MUST my opinion. I tie one on around 16-24 inches above my hairjig.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I did it on a blade bait, which I think is a necessity...............left it on for jigs, and noticed a huge difference. Probably put it on all the time now

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Barrel swivels definitely help but they'll tear up your line guides if you prefer long leaders like I do. I just deal with the twist.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I make up several of my own before hand. Tie about a two foot piece of mono to jig, other end to swivel. Also sometimes I add a lightweight sinker near the swivel.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking I should stick some on last weekend while we were fishing, but I didn't want to upset the "program". I'll make up a couple of short leaders with some swivels for the next time out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been using power pro 20# and have found this to be a non-issue. The stuff just don't seem to have a effect with twist. I won't fish w/anything else since switching 4 yrs ago. Works with cranks and spinners as well. It is best to go one step lighter on your pole. I went from Med to Med.Light. Helps off set the no stretch of the line.
It does fish different than mono but after you get used to those differences its no problem. In my opinion the good far outweighs the bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts