close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Questions...Help Please...

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by iteech, Apr 24, 2008.

1. iteech

iteech Shebasser

Going on a family fishing trip to a big game lake in May...and I was wondering. There's some kind of sunglasses that let you see the fish in the water--it eliminates the glare and you can see them! I've used a pair before but I don't remember what they're called--I want to buy some before I go. Oh, and where would you get them? And a question for my LMB experts: this lake is mega-full of fish--you can catch freakishly huge bluegill--I got one last year that was a pound and a half, and I don't care if you believe that or not--and smaller lmb's (mostly between 1-2 pounds) at the rate of EVERY SINGLE CAST (again, not an exaggeration)...but those monster bigmouths are elusive. There are plenty of 10-pounders in there (I can see them) but I cannot get them to bite anything, they seem lazy or slow or something. Any suggestions? You're not allowed to use live bait, and I have a feeling that would attract them...but does anyone have any "secrets" they'd be willing to share? A great lure? A particular method? A smelly juice stuff?? I'll take any suggestions! And this time, I'll post plenty of pictures, so y'all won't doubt my VERACITY. :p

2. Polarized sunglasses.

For the big gills this time of year, try slowly dragging a Blue Fox 1/16 oz. crappie jig on clear hard bottom areas in 6-8' deep near steep banks. I usually tip mine with waxworms but they've worked without when I've run out of bait. Maybe take some Gulp maggots just in case if allowed.

For the bass, a Senko on flourocarbon line rigged wacky. Cast, let sink and sit for 30 seconds then repeat. White or watermelon red flake. Maybe try a big swimbait like the California guys? If you see the bass you might try a dropshot.

3. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Make sure the polarized glasses have something that wraps around the side of your head. If light is coming in from the side, they don't work as well.

4. you can get cheapo polorized sunglasses at Wal-Mart and such but I highly recommend Maui Jim's. They are pricely but there is a definate difference in quality. The contrast is AMAZING and they build they're polorization into the lens instead of sticking it on the lens. I forgot which it is but general polorized lens really only cut either the vertical or horizantal glares, where as the Maui's have have a system that cuts both glares, but again, their price range is form the mid 100s to about 300, so downfall is price

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I wear glasses anyway and always have a pair of dark glasses made. I always have them polarized and it makes a huge difference out on the water. Almost night and day.

6. This may be a little extreme, but remember, if you can see the fish, they can see you, or at least your shadow. Especially if the lake sees heavy pressure. Those bass didn't get that big by being stupid. If you bank fish, I'd try crawling to the shoreline and staying low while you fish. I've also had people tell me to wear camoflauge.

Hope this helps!
    Damny

7. iteech

iteech Shebasser

Thanks guys! Polarized! Why couldn't I think of that?? I can't afford $100 for a pair of sunglasses (I sit on them or lose 5 pairs a summer :mad: ) but I will definitely get some less pricey. And I understood everything except one thing: what is a "wacky" rig? Never heard that one before...I'll try these things for those big bass. It's so frustrating, because you can plainly see them, but they don't even seem to note ANYTHING you throw in the water--the smaller ones, though, would tear up a SHOE if you threw it in, it doesn't matter what you throw with them. So it's double-aggravating to see the big ones (the water is nearly crystal clear, it is fed by a huge underground spring) and try to get him, but as soon as you cast anything a 2-pounder hits it like a train and that's that. Fun but I want that GRANDADDY. :p