close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Questions about the Mad River

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Four Weight Fanatic, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Hi all, I've fly fished for about 15 years now and am used to fishing larger PA and Northern Michigan Rivers (I grew up in Donegal, PA), where for the most part there is plenty of room for the long rod. My question are the conditions on the Mad roomy enough for me to use my 9' 5 Wt, or should I back it down to one of my shorter rods - the shortest I have is a 7'6" 3Wt. Any info would be appreciated.

FWF

2. It depends on where you are at on the Mad. In the upper streches it can be tight, but I use a 9' rod and don't have any problems.

3. you can use a 9' 5wt throughout the river, however up above W. liberty the 3wt may be more appropriate. above urbana I like using a 4wt, 7'6" is a little short for the lower part of the section there. last week i had the chance to fish a 7'10" txl, it was perfect for where i was. i think an 8'-8'6" 4 would be great for most of the river. but i always bring a heavier rod for streamers:B

4. Utard

Utard

I'd be more concerned about the line weight of the rod. Judging by the size of most of the fish in the Mad I'd stick with 00 wt. if I had one.

Go small 'cause you're not likely to find much that will test your 5 wt. Maybe you'll get lucky every once in a while, but out of the 15 or so browns I've every caught outta the Mad I've had one about 18" 2 or 3 around 12' and the rest around 8." Then again, I've only fished the Mad a hand ful of times, so others may have had other experiences.