close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Questions about rigging

Discussion in 'Canoes & Kayaks' started by cheezemm2, Jul 24, 2007.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

I have an otter and had some questions.

First, I'm going to install some flush mount rod holders behind my seat so I can have a second rod ready at all times, but I'd also like to use these for trolling.

1) Has anyone used flush mount's for trolling and what has your experience been?
    2) I'm installing shock chord rigging both in front and back, anyone have good suggestions on where to buy the supplies?
    3) For both, what kind of tools/time/technical skills are we talking?

I've done plenty of slop fishing out of the yak, but I'm finding that paddle trolling can also be effective! Pretty soon I'll be asking how I can attach dipsy's!$

2. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

The rigging is very simple, I did it to my otter this winter front and rear and it looks very professional and is very nice to have to stow gear while fishing. I'll take a few pics today and post it for you with directions on how I did it and its very simple.
    Mike

3. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Heh, I actually did this for the first time while fishing with stuckathome and caught a smallie. I also caught a rapala stuck to a salt bag.
    I'm batting a thousand trolling.

As for the decking and holders, my yak came with the stuff already. It seems a simple hand drill, small hand saw and some time you should be able to do it.

Don't worry, i've been working on my own designed rudder all week. Next up is my depth finder.

4. My kayak is a sit on top and I haven't done any trolling but I'll offer some opinions anyway. That usually gets me in trouble at work but it shouldn't be a problem here.

You might want to consider surface mount rod holders rather than flush mounts. Flush mounts have two problems, they require larger holes in the kayak and they are not adjustable.

You can get just about everything needed for rigging from http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/. I use stainless steel machine screws with fender washers and nylon lock nuts for just about everything. I've used round head, oval head, and flat head screws depending on the hole in whatever I'm mounting. A dab of marine goop seals everything.

The tools and skills required are minimal. Any cordless or regular drill will work. A hole saw kit will help with larger holes. I don't trust myself with a scroll saw.

My best advice is to practice before you start making holes in your kayak. A five gallon bucket or your neighbors trash cans make good practice dummies for drilling holes in plastic. Also, make darn sure you plan ahead, the holes you put in your boat are relatively permanent.

5. cheezemm2

Well,

I've come up with the general design for the rigging and will take pictures when completed. I sat down and thought about flush mounts in the back for trolling (pain to watch and get to) and not how I would want to position myself if doing any tightlining in the river. Not really a good option...

Solution...

Going to rig up the front of the yak with shock rigging to hold a light piece of wood that I can mount surface rod holders on (the board will be wider than the yak so when the rods are placed at a right angle to the yak, the line will not interfere with paddle stroke (I can currently paddle with the rods at 90 degree angles inside the cockpit without getting in the line, but I'm making sure)...I want something that is removable and this is by far my best option.

Don't know if Gander has what I need or not, but if it's not there tonight I will be visiting kayakfishingstuff.com

Thanks again guys, I will update with before and after pictures as I go:D

6. Is your boat a SOT or sit in? I have a sit in rec boat (12' Pungo)that I made some decking for and mounted a flush mounted rod holder into. Its all removable. I also use a Scotty mount for the front. I can troll with both rods in the water and slay the Walley when there in close to shore in Lake Erie. Only problem is when both rods hook up at once. Nice problem to have.
    Boats also rigged with a retractable anchor system and fishfinder.
    Im thinking about selling the boat and getting a sit on top. I paddled one the other day in 4 footers and I felt pretty stable.
    Later

7. cheezemm2

Aside from online, does anyone have this stuff......Ace/Home Depot both say NO! Looks like I might be going to kayakfishingstuff.com for rigging! I was hoping to get the boat laced up sooner than that, but oh well!$

Also saw a very good idea for a rod holder.....

TM,

boat is a sit in...shoot me a pm about how you mounted these flush mounts aside from the normal way. Thanks!

8. Check your local Army Surplus stores. They usually carry it.

9. cheezemm2

10. cheezemm2

2 for $15 from basspro.....side mounts (trying to avoid any more holes in yak!)

[​IMG]