close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Questions about keeping fish.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spidey2721, Jun 14, 2005.

1. How long will a fish that dies on the way in, or that swallowed the hook and dies after you remove it going to be good on a stringer in the water? Before it starts to go bad with the water temps up like they are now?

Later,
    jay

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Thats a good question, one that I dont think I've ever seen/heard asked before.

3. put them on ice...how long would you let a steak soak in 70* before you wouldn't want to eat it?

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I think you want to ice them down asap. I heard something about the gills once. Had to do with the color. Red-pink or something.

5. I don't have an exact answer...but I wouldn't let it sit for long at all in warm waters. Doesn't take much for the bacteria to start growing...I've always heard you should put fish on ice as soon as you catch them.

6. Look at the Eyes..If they are getting cloudy....Gut and gill them and get them on ice..Will be fine..

As far as steak...The more the age the better it is..Best to cook at room temp...

My favorite quote " Dont ask mee...I"m a Meat Cutter"

7. yea I figured about icing them. As far as gutting them on the spot goes I cant always do that. Also, I need to get a new filet knfie. Thanks for the info about the eyes.

Later,
    jay

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

i have been told that if packed in ice no water keep the water out of the cooler that the fish will be good for sometime even the next morning but its imparitive to keep the water drained off and packed in ice. Think about the fish they catch out at sea its packed in ice for several days before it ever makes port.

9. plus I saw that Meijers now carrys dry ice. That will be more convient

10. catking

catking Banned

The farther from blood red the gills look , the worst they are...Pink is iffy, pink with a little white on the edges is NO GOOD ... As soon as a living thing dies, bacteria sets in . Ice is the best bet...... THE CATKING !!!

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Like everyone said, ice and more ice!

12. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

When the weather and water gets as warm as it has been, here's what I do.

Keep a cooler full of ice on the boat. As soon as a keeper fish is caught, I slit the gills, and put the fish on my stringer, and leave it over the side of the boat while trolling for about five minutes (to bleed the fish out). It then goes directly in the cooler on ice.

I have seen people at Mosquto pull up to the dock with a stringer of walleyes that are pure white from being in the hot water all day. I can't imagine that they would make very good tablefare.

13. You have about an hour to prepare the fish after it dies unless it's on ice.

14. Come on guys what fun is a fish fry with out a little DIARRHEA???

Scott

15. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

HA! Good one! :D
    Might as well leave the potato salad sit on the picnic table when you leave in the morning. That way it can sit in the sun and heat all day as well.

Ice ASAP is what I would reccomend as well.

16. If you plan on keeping fish the first thing to do is get a GOOD cooler,not just a cooler but a good one ;) Ice last longer with no worries about your fish.