close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question on Removing a Motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by -[iRb]-Rob, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Assuming I had the right type of stand, what size gas motor could I 'easily' remove from, say, a 17' bass tracker?

I am looking at buying one, and would like to use it on electric only lakes like LaDue and Mogadore, but I don't know if it is realistic to take one on and off every other week depending on where I want to fish. Does any one have any experience? Is a 90HP to much, but maybe I could work with a 40HP? Is there a bunch of connections that would make this an enormous pain?

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Forget the 90 unless you have a hoist. Even a 40 would be a pain after removing all the connections etc. Why not just tilt the motor and fish that way? I do it with my 150 all the time.To be easy to remove I'd say a 25 would be about all you want to remove and put on several time a month.Remember most larger motors are bolted on to the transom, not just tightened like the smaller motors. Just my opinion.

3. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Removing a motor is simple. Just get some colored paint sticks and mark everything. Now the weight is an issue. 25 hp. is manageable for the average man. Up to 40 hp in Merc and OMC can be lifted with a strong back. Yamaha is a heavier motor in that hp. I don,t recommend pulling any outboard over 25 hp by hand due to the strain on your back when setting it on a stand. You have to lift, twist and move your feet, then put it on your stand. Really strains your back! Trust me on this one, I pulled an old 650 Merc by hand and totally wrecked a rotator cuff! 8 months of pain! If you have a beam in your garage use a chainfall. If not an automotive engine crane is the ticket. You can purchase an engine crank eyebolt that threads into the top of your crankshaft. Another thing to look at is your engine stand. Will it fit between the legs of your engine crane? Harbour Freight sells nice engine hoists and chainfalls very reasonabley priced.
    If you decide to go this route and have any more questions I will gladly help you out. LakeRaider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Stop typing faster than me!!! :D Raider

5. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I lifted the 35 hp merc off the back of my BassTracker by myself when I put a CMC jack plate with tilt and trim on the boat. It's doable, but very heavy. If the motor is bolted onto the transom and you take it off the bottom two holes will most likely take water onto the boat.

6. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Good point. If you install a jackplate then the leaking hole problem is solved!
    One point to consider is boats under 15ft. sometimes develope a porposing problem with a jackplate and you might need a hydrofoil or trim tabs. Just have to experiment with that one. Raider
    OOPS, He said 17ft. Tracker didn,t he. My bad! :)

7. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Raider, old age does have it's advantages :D Can't see, hear, don't care much. but I can type fast!

8. If You Fish Mogadore,you Cant Have A Gas Mtr.on Your Boat Even If It Is Raised Up Out Of The Water...i Think Ladue Is The Same.it Would Be Easier Just To Get A Small Rowboat For Mogadore//

9. I have a 9.9hp tiller steer. That way it is very easy to remove the gas motor for electric only lakes. I am then also able to fish the 10 hp limit lakes.

10. THanks everybody. I do have a good steel I-beam in my garage and will investigate that option and the jack plate.

Just for the record, for the electric only lakes i fish (LaDue & Mogadore), a gas motor absolutely must be removed before you put the boat in the water. I think Nimisilia and others you can just tilt the motor.

11. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

rob,i was wondering why you were talking about taking the motor off on an electric only lake,i didn't realize that there were lakes in ohio that require the motor to be removed instead of simply tilting the motor. :confused: