close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question on joining lines

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Gomez, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Gomez

Gomez Just Hangin' Around

What kind of knot do you all use to join two lines together. I'm using 40# braid as the main and wanting to attach a 3' 17# leader.

Thanks

g

2. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I tie the blood knot. I have never had a problem with it. Not too difficult to tie either.

3. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

The "Blood" knot is an excellent knot. You might also use a "Double Uni Knot". I switched to this knot some years back.

4. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Both the Uni or Blood will work just fine. You might want to use a leader that is at least the length of the rod tough and preferbly a little longer...just MHO.

5. I also use the double uni. And I second Hook N Book's suggestion on leader length. While the double uni or even the blood knot provide a very good knot I still don't like to have to depend on it as being the potential weak link with a heavy fish on the line at the net. Going long enough to get a few wraps on the reel eliminates that risk.

6. Gomez

Gomez Just Hangin' Around

thanks guys...
    I've been practicing the blood knot and I think I got it now.

g

7. Good suggestions by these guys. I use the back-to-back uni-knot (easy for me to tie-which is a good thing). I can't disagree with the suggestion to make the leader long enough to get a few wraps on the spool for hand landing fish, but in all the times I've used it, I've never had a uni-knot fail.

Tim