close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question on Harvest

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JamesT, Sep 15, 2005.

1. JamesT

JamesT Banned

Attached is a picture of a harvest for an Ohio fisherman.

Do you think if every fisherman at a given lake decided to go out and take home this many fish that there would be an impact on the quality of fishing in a given lake?

I'm trying to understand the limits of C&R - my thoughts are that this is too many fish for one harvest. I feel like if every fisherman was taking home this many fish, the quality of fishing and the lakes would decrease.

Just curious.

Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

It may or may not have an impact. An impact, if any, would probably vary by the body of water.

I am not a fisheries biologist so any comment or opinion I offer is just that, opinion. There is no factual basis to reach a conclusion to your question, just speculation.

I will say that I have seen catches like that coming from Ohio waters since I was a little boy. The very fact that this catch is still available to an Ohio angler leads me to believe that the impact can't be overly detrimental.

But that's just my opinion,
    Kim

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

If every angler decided to go out and do that, it would probably depend on the body of water.

Realistically though, not every angler does take that amount and I think the laws reflect that.

4. Being the guy that has done this for the last 35 years in the same lake, (pictured) I would say definitely that, if it has had any effect at all, then that effect has been extemely positive.

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I personally cant see why someone would want to take that many fish at one time??

But being as there only pan fish(baitfish)..i dont care...just glad these type of anglers dont fish my waters.

Im not down with the whole "meathunter" thing anyway...Catch-Photo-Release ..or atleast SELECTIVE HARVEST.

In My Personal Opinion that is,

Scott

6. gstrick27

gstrick27 ITS BLUEJACKETS TIME!!!!!

there ought to be a law when panfishing you must keep at least 50 or surrender your poles at the dock, cause you dont deserve to hit em if ya aint gonna eat em lol. whens the next fry king, we could always invite a few "friends" to show them what they taste and look like when you catch them.

7. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

it doesn't bother me in the least.for each one of those in that pic there are alot more small ones still swimming and growing.i've cleaned many messes of bluegill like that in the past.after all,they are called panfish for a reason.

8. gstrick27

mmmmmmmmm fish and wow someone else who noticed that little subtle word "pan" in front of the word fish.

9. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

If that were law, you n theking woulda had to get some new gear after the crappie tourney this past april. :D :D

:D sowbelly

10. gstrick27

sowbelly, if it would have meant getting out of the icy tundra then i would have givin you my gear wallet car keys whatever man thanks for reminding me of that, i can turn the ac off now. how they hittin up at alum? we need to hit that place and really get a mess of em.

11. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

believe it or not i havent been on alum for a month, and only fished it 3 times between memorial day and labor day. last year i fished it 3 days a week, and this year only 3 days in 3 months. im sure there's fish to catch there right now , but im going to wait for the water to cool a little. im off all next week so i plan on huntin them down to get an idea where they will be in a month when im ready for C&F (Catch-n-Fry). i will keep ya posted.

sowbelly

12. gstrick27

sounds like the perfect opportunity for a mini tourney, losing team frys the fish :D

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'm not gonna give my opinion on the hypothetical question,except to say angling pressure is only one of many factors that can have an impact on fish populations ;)

ps to theking...........looks like you may have a couple more fish in your cooler than i do in mine,but mine is full and the fish are bigger :p ;)
    but they're all tastey :D

pps....................no,that's not me.it's my official "chummer" ;)
    [​IMG]

14. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

It all depends on where those fish were taken from. They may have been from an overpopulated pond or fishery. There is no clear answer to your original question. Only speculation and opinion - and we know where that can get us....

15. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Rick
    To bad your chummer has never caught a fish in his life ! :D Nice of you to let him take a pic with those nice fish you caught ! :D

16. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

eeeeew is that zortman :D

17. EM' R' Perch. Used to catch garbage cans full with a cane pole on the 72nd street pier 35 years ago. Truth!

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the one and only..................luckily :D ;)

phil,if the guy could find his way to the water and stay awake,he might learn to catch something :D

19. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

20. It is incredibly naive to believe that the wholesale removal of fish in any given body of water will not adversely effect the fishery. It is not even a matter of biology, it is simple math. To promote/glorify “keeping everything that you can catch” via the Internet is irresponsible for anyone that cares about the sport of fishing.

It doesn’t matter if it is harmful to a fishery. Fishing for many people is simply a way to get a meal.

Many people will take everything within the legal limit. Many will take everything irregardless of size/creel limits. The ODNR doesn’t care about the quality of fishing outside of Lake Erie.

However, at this point, I could care less if everyone uses every fish that they ever catch for fertilizer. I’ve seen the buckets, and watched the fishing suffer enough to know that it will not stop and it is only going to get worse. Increased population, availability of information via the Internet, decreased fishable water, and irresponsible (read NO) management is catching-up quickly.

No preaching, not even arguing my point, just giving my opinion like everyone else. If you have a contrary opinion, feel free to disregard.