close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

question on fuel/oil mix

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by rockbass, Jun 9, 2004.

1. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I just got a boat and I don't have a clue on what fuel/oil mix I need. The motor is prob a early 70's model evinrude. 10hp Also what kind of oil is used for the mix?? I am ignorant to boats and motors. So please help!!!

2. "Most likely" it uses a 50:1 mixture, at least mine does. However, before anyone can tell you, you need to find out what year it is. Brand of oil is personal preference, but it must be TCW-3 rated.

3. I have a 1971 Johnson 50 an it's 50 to 1.

4. I have a 90 hp Johnson and I use 16oz of Johnson xd30 (something like that) which is TCW-3 rated for every 6 gallons. 50:1 . I also use premium gas. As far as oil goes, All the mechanics I have talked with say to try and use the brand of oil your motor is made from.

Example: You have a 10hp evinrude so I would use johnson/evinrude oil that is rated TCW-3.

Make sure it is TCW-3 like M.Magis said.

I am also very new to boats and motors, One thing I did is called a few different marina's and boat dealers and talked with the mechanics. I recommend you do it to. Good learning expereince. Good luck.

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

50-1 is the right mixture. As for oils-- Any twc3 oil will work. Most dealers will tell you that you need to use their own brand of oil, @ merc. -quick silver etc. All oils made today have to meet these standards. I use Penzoil, West marine brand and even the quick silver. Why pay $8.00 to $10.00 per gallon when $5.95 - will do the same thing. Read the listing on the jug. They say meets or excedes all specs. Never had a problem and I've had boats and motors for 30 years. Dealers want you to buy their own brand, they make more off that than the others. Most dealers carry a side brand in their store, what does that tell you? If it was going to damage the motor they wouldn't sell it.

6. Marinas will tell you to use "Branded" oils because they cost more, they are no better than the off brand oils with a TCW-3 rating. Outboard manufacturers do not manufacture 2 cycle oil they contract with independent refineries to produce and bottle products with their names on them.

Last year I used 4 gallons of Castrol TCW-2 oil that Sliprig had given me because his company couldn't sell it. My Mercury is 27 years old and was manufactured long before oils were TCW-3 rated.

Jared - You are probably throwing away money running premium gas in your outboard. You might also be doing more harm than good. I believe higher octane fuels burn at either a different rate or temperature causing detonation problems leading to burned pistons. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

7. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Stick with regular gas. I've heard from more than one mechanic that running higher octane gas will cause your plugs to carbon up (foul out) faster.

I am also one of those that runs the oil with the sticker that coincides with the brand of engine, ie: I mix Merc Quicksilver in my 25 hp Merc outboard gas, I mix Johnson/Evinrude oil in my Johnson 9.9 hp gas, and I only run Merc motor oil in my Merc Alpha1 165hp inboard/outboard.

Why? I don't know. Why not? Always have, and I've never had a single problem doing it. This is the wrong hobby to get into if you are/were out to save a dollar or two.

8. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Jaredj:
    I will also add that you do not need to run high octane fuel. The motors of today are made to run on regular fuel. 87 octane is just fine to run. Myself I add higher octane every few tanks just to boost the fuel that is in there. I have a 150 (2.5 ltr.) EFI engine that I run regular in and never have any problems.

9. Thanks everyone :)

I think I will still get the Johnson Oil, but will save the money on 87 octane gas :D

10. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I have a merc, but I noticed in the owners manual it says to use 87 octane. As for oil I use Penzoil Synthetic TCW-3 and agree with the other that it dosen't matter if you use a brand name or not.

11. I have a question that relates to this thread. Last summer I got out my dad's 1976 chrysler outboard and ran it a few times. I still have about a half of a tank (6 gallon) of gas/oil mix in the can sitting in my shed. I didn't add any stabil or anything else to it. My question is 1) is it OK to use this gas/oil again this summer & 2) Do I need to add anything to it? Thanks for any help you can give me. Later.

12. Just dump it to be safe. It's not worth the trouble it could cause.

13. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Thanks guys for all the replies! Hell, I have only filled the tank one time and I mixed something like 16 to 1. I think next fill up, I will use closer to 50 to 1. As I said before, I am motor dumb, which would also lead to my being oil/gas mixture dumb. What is TCW-3 all about?? I was told I could just use 2 cycle motor oil???? Also, Could I buy this oil at an auto parts store or do I have to buy it at a marine place? I know you guys willl help me out, so thanks ahead of time!

14. You can get outboard oil at any Walmart or Kmart. I can't remember offhand what TCW-3 means, but regular 2-stroke oil sholdn't be used.