close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question on Digital Scales

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Iron_Chef_CD, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

I saw a few places that had either a berkely or rapala 50lb digital scale for under 20$. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that there are several other scales out there that are both more and less max weight that are almost twice the price. I would like to buy one to have around, but wanted to see if anyone here has used them and had trouble with them, I just don't understand why they are so much cheaper :confused:

If anyones had any issues with them please let me know! I really don't feel like spending $40+ on something that doesn't help catch fish, right now...

here's a link to the one I'm talking about

Rapala Digital Scale (50lb)

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

smaller scales give a more acurate reading...sometimes. but it's still all aproximate. more money equals better scale.

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I know the rapala scales are accurate. At least the ones we've checked. They have 2 grades, we got the higher grade (guide series?).
    [​IMG]

4. That's just it. Almost all of the more popular digital scales are notorioulsy inaccurate. Some worse than others. However, most of them are accurate enough for the average fisherman. I'm sure there are other differences too, such as durability, memory, water resistance, and other features.

5. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

We use the Rapala guide series also, very good scale, keeps accurate weight, says it goes to 50 but it is more than that as I had my 56#er on it, minus the sling, Lynns 88# was weighted on a set of Doral tournament scales which are like $900.00 so I don't need to go to that expense as I figure we will not catch another one that big before I head to that big river in the sky.

6. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Doc

If you got info on where to get a large sling for catfish I would sure appreciate it :)

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

i have the one that mrfish has posted as well the rapala inexpensive and great for the average fisherman i use it in the boat to weigh the bass i catch. When i catch them LOL.

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have the rapala scale also and I am happy with it.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I recently bought a newer Berkley digital scale at my local bait shop, Crawdaddys. I got it for $29.99 (a few months ago), Bass Pro had it for $40, so did Gander Mtn. It felt good to get such a good deal from my local small tackle shop, I like the scale real well.

10. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

Thanks for the info guys! Just what i was looking for.

I just wanted make sure it was accurate to a half pound or so and that it didn't have any inherent problems. Guess I'll be picking one up then. By the more expensive one later, after I buy a boat :D