Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for you lefties out there (handed, not libbys :)).

My son takes after his mother in this regard and is going to move from a single shot to a full size pump action gun.

I can see where in an autoloader a left handed built gun would make a difference, but it seems to me like shooting a pump action it would not matter that much.

Also, I don't see hardly any left handed pump actions on the market, though there are some.

If you have any experience with shooting pump actions left handed, please share!

Thanks,
CoonDawg

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've been a lefty all my life shooting long guns. NEVER had an issue hunting with pumps or autos. Although I prefer guns with the saftey on top of the receiver because the saftey on the trigger gaurds are backwards for the lefty. The only left handed rifle I have is a T/C muzzle loader. I also have right handed muzzle loaderers and have no issues shooting those. Percussion cap only.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I don't see any problem what so ever. I know quite a few lefties who shoot the right handed guns. The only thing that you may run across in the higher end guns may be the Cast of the stock set for a right handed shooter. I believe that most stocks now from the factory are cut straight, so it shouldn't be a problem. If it were a rifle I'd probably be looking for a left handed model.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I agree with the others. I'm right handed but shoot anything with a stock left handed and a pistol and co pound right handed (how screwed up is that). But anyways I've shot right handed guns all my life and if you start out using them you dont know any difference and it's all you know and I've never had an issue. From pumps semi auto and bolt guns all I've shot is right handed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I'm a lefty and have shot semi and pump shotguns. As mentioned, having the saftey on top is preferred. But I did have the saftey on a Winchester 1400 modified to be a lefty from a local machine shop back in the day.

Now, I shoot an O/U and will probably do the same for my son when he graduates from his single shot.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
780 Posts
Lefty issues are usually when shooting the right hand guns is the shells eject across your sight line. Also with a bolt action you reach up and over the gun to do the bolt if dominant hand.

I do have a 17 HMR that’s a lefty if your interested in a left handed gun. Picked it up years ago and it just sits in the safe.

Remington made an 1100 in left hand. I had one once

ithica with the bottom ejection is perfect for both R & L hand shooters.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My concern with an O/U is the weight vs a pump. But the only one I’ve ever owned was a Stoeger Condor and it was a beast.

The Browning BPS in 20 ga. 28” barrel looks to be just over 7 lbs. Not sure how much I would have to spend on an O/U to get in that range, just not that familiar with the higher end guns.

Edit: a quick Google shows the 20 ga Condor now at 6.8 lbs. So maybe I should give the O/U a little more consideration.

Man that thing felt heavier back when I had it.

·
Harry
1,203 Posts
Safety’s matter a little bit if not on the top, however many that are on trigger guard are reversible. Some guns have no cast, some are cast for left or right handlers and some come with shim kits to change cast. As a left handed wing shooter for 45 years…..the wrong cast makes a difference in getting on a moving target naturally and quickly, especially if you are use to a neutral cast or the correct cast.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got a question for you lefties out there (handed, not libbys :)).

My son takes after his mother in this regard and is going to move from a single shot to a full size pump action gun.

I can see where in an autoloader a left handed built gun would make a difference, but it seems to me like shooting a pump action it would not matter that much.

Also, I don't see hardly any left handed pump actions on the market, though there are some.

If you have any experience with shooting pump actions left handed, please share!

Thanks,
CoonDawg
Is your son left handed or left eye dominate or both? If left handed but right eye dominate he should be fine with a normal shotgun.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would have to Google how to figure out the eye dominance thing, not sure.

We had him handle some guns yesterday evening and ended up getting him an 870 in 20 ga/26” barrel. It felt the most comfortable to him.

we will see how he shoots in a few weeks when squirrel season opens.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would have to Google how to figure out the eye dominance thing, not sure.

We had him handle some guns yesterday evening and ended up getting him an 870 in 20 ga/26” barrel. It felt the most comfortable to him.

we will see how he shoots in a few weeks when squirrel season opens.
Stick your hand out and point at something. Close your right eye, is it still on target? Repeat for other eye.
The eye that when closed makes your target move is the dominate eye.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My concern with an O/U is the weight vs a pump. But the only one I’ve ever owned was a Stoeger Condor and it was a beast.

The Browning BPS in 20 ga. 28” barrel looks to be just over 7 lbs. Not sure how much I would have to spend on an O/U to get in that range, just not that familiar with the higher end guns.

Edit: a quick Google shows the 20 ga Condor now at 6.8 lbs. So maybe I should give the O/U a little more consideration.

Man that thing felt heavier back when I had it.
Condor is a beast!

Try an SKB or Ithaca 20 gauge (Ithaca was an SKB re-label).

I sold one here with a second stock for youths. Would have been a good one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts