Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was fishing a Dublin pond with night crawlers. I was catching 4 to 5 inch bass like crazy. Nothing bigger. Was it the bait? Should I start using artificial lures or maybe minnows? I would imagine that if there are lots of small bass in the pond, there are bigger ones.

All advice is more than welcome.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Tie on a swim bait and see what happens or a top water torpedo. If there are some bigger bass in the pond they will hit one or the other.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Use a bass colored crank bait. Your numbers will go way down, but if there are a few bigger fish in there I bet you'd get one or two.

·
Registered
771 Posts
sounds like the problem is your bait choice...almost every little thing goes for nightcrawlers....the big girls wont even get a chance to see it before all the little guys are on it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Could the pond have been stocked recently? Sounds like an excess of juveniles. Keep feeding them crawlers though, they'll be fatties in no time.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Use a 1/4" piece of worm on a small hook to catch a small gill then get a bigger hook and toss the gill back out. Nothing going to steal that bait but a big bass or a cat.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I was at a local pond the other day(not fishing) and seen a ton of small bass swimming around, looked like this years hatch actually, never seen anything with remotely any size to it, I know there are bigger bass in this pond so I am not sure what the deal with that is. I would maybe try a medium size spinner bait, caught a few recently on one.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Were you fishing it close to shore line or further out? Were you using any weight? Hook size?

My fiance typically catches more fish, and bigger fish, using a nightcrawler on a 4/0 offset hook with a small split shot on it. She caught a big catfish this way...and a big lm bass this way. Both in a particular pond in dublin.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ahhh!

Building your first tackle box.

1.) Soft tackle boxes are nice and light.

2.) Lures
A.) A couple of Beetle Spins or Road Runners
B.) A bag of plastic worms and Texas rigged hooks
C.) You cannot go wrong with a Strike King crank bait or two
D.) A popper or Tiny Torpedo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts