question for the lmr

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jimmy myers, Aug 3, 2008.

1. what size tubes are they best for the river?? i fish quite abit but i am never fished a tube very much at all.. been musky fishing mostly the last few years but its just been to hot and to hard on the fish. so i have went back to the river. been catching a few just wanted to try them tubes been reading where u guys are catching them smallies on them..

2. Jimmy,

I think 3-4" tubes should work well.

BlueWater

3. thanks i will sure give them a try

4. Jimmy -
    I have fished quite a few different tubes in a few different parts of the LMR.
    I have had the most success with 3.5" tubes, anywhere from a dark grayish-green color to a very dark purple/black tube. I have caught one or two on larger tubes but the 3.5" seem to produce the most strikes. rig them on a jig head - 1/16oz up to 1/2oz - depending on depth and current. I found some rattlin', weighted hooks that seem to work quite well last week. Just remember, if you're not getting some snags on the bottom, you're not fishin' it right.
    best of luck

5. thanks guys for the replys.. jim

6. Snags???
    How do you rig the tube so that the snag does not turn in to breaking line and losing tackle?

I have losts at least 30 tubes this summer, rigged various ways (nothing with weight above 1/16oz). at least 1 out of 4 or 5 casts, I get snaged on the bottom (or something big), it ends up breaking my line.

7. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

If you are using a sinker or jig, the weight is usually what gets snagged in between rocks.

8. I get bendable hooks for the river and just make sure I have my pliers to bend them back. I have learned that my problem was I would just reel and pull my line until either it broke or it came out. A couple of guys that fish the river more than I had showed me a way to get your stuff out most of the time. Reel your line tight when it gets caught on the bottom. Open the bail and keep the line tight. Grab a hold of the line with your hand and pull it back like you are shooting a bow and arrow. Then let it go and then close the bail. While the line is still loose jerk the line and I have found that more often than not this will get it unsnagged. Of course you are always going to lose some. That's the river for ya

9. man, that is soo true!

I also find that once you get snagged, instead of pulling tight, try to let slack out so the current will move it and free it up for you. that technique works well for me.

10. I am usually fishing the tubes with a small (1/16th - 1/8 oz) jig head inside the tube with the hook sticking out as little as possible. My line is 10# and I buy the abrasion resistant line for my number one river/creek set up.
    As soon as the rig feels like it is starting to get lodged in some rocks, or whatever, on the bottom it is important not to keep pulling the bait towards you but let it fall. A lot of times the current of the river or gravity will keep it from actaully getting snagged. This takes some getting used to.
    If it does get snagged, use the method described by CatBassCrap or try pulling it out from the opposite angle the it went into the rocks - much easier if you are wading.
    The big ones always seem to take the tube right off of the bottom, so I try to keep it down there as much as I can.
    I have lost a few tubes over the last couple of years, but that's sometimes the price you gotta pay:)

BTW - anybody fish Brush Creek in Adams County? Any Smallies in there?

11. Maybe I am fishing the Tubes entirely Wrong:confused:

I have only caught 1 Smallmouth and 1 Catfish so far this summer on any tube. most of time I get :S when fishing with the tube.

I usually have the jig inside the tube, I toss it out and let is sit for about a minute or so before moving it. after about 10 minutes of trying it that way without any hits, I change by tossing it out and retrieving it very very slowly.
    I will then change colors and go back to the first method.

I have tried about 12 or so different colors so far this summer, none seem to work.

Any Thoughts or Suggestions???:confused:

12. Brush Creek is an awesome place to get smallies. There are plenty of nice size smallies and a few monsters.

13. I've had no luck fishing with tubes in the LMR myself.

14. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

He tore 'em up in our "tourney" with tubes in the LMR.

15. tommy454

tommy454 Fishaholic

I floated down the LMR Friday, cuaght one 10" smallie on a Yum craw papi. Also fished a spinner and 3.5" strike king coffee tube wih no luck, but there where a TON of canoers out there, Have to find some place that is not around the conoe rentals.

16. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

I cant believe you cant catch the smallies on a tube. It is the most overall productive lure for them in the LMR. Granted they aren't always on the tube bite, but you can usually catch a few and when they are on...its lights out! Cast out, SLIGHTLY jig it off the rocks, I do not let my tubes sit in the summer, that is a winter tactic. Picture the tube being a crayfish skittering across the bottom. Works best in eddies and fast moving water, stay away from slow or non existant current flows.

17. I always start with a smaller tube (3") and of any darker color. Like LMR said, you want the tube on or near the bottom, but try not to actaully let it sit still. I try to find that water where the "rapids" end and the water swirls a little bit - start casting there and then cast up and down stream from there.
    I have even had luck in slower water by pulling the tube close to the surface and let it fall from there - you will need to reduce the weight being used for this. It sort of looks like a dying bait fish.
    If I find a spot that has some fish, I may switch to a larger/smaller tube or try different colors. I try to present the tube in different ways until I find what is working in that area on that day.

Best of luck!