close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

question for mechanics

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by alan farver, Dec 7, 2008.

1. alan farver

alan farver purple raiders softball

a friend of mine has a 1993 mazda b2600i 4x4 truck.4cyl with a stick.it is getting horrible fuel milleage 9 mpg.i have replaced the plugs wires cap rotor and air filter.plugs get charcoaled(black) i don't know what else to do any suggestion would be appreciated.thank a lot.

2. I,m having the same problem with my Stratus. Think it may be the EGR valve,going to clean it and see what happens. How's it run other wise? Good Luck

3. alan farver

alan farver purple raiders softball

it runs great other then the poor fuel mileage.i told him to take it and have the computer checked rather then just start replacing parts but the check engine light does not come on so that might be a lost cause too

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

with the plugs fouling like that,is the tailpipe also black,and does it blow black smoke,especially when idling?
    if so,one possibility is the carb.my little 89 dodge(mistubishi engine)did the same thing.it was caused by deteriorated o-rings.milage increased from 14 to 24 mpg with a new carb.rebuild was out,and i had to replace the carb.funky materials for 0-rings was the culprit.
    i was also told that materials in the original carbs at the time were incompatible with ethanol/gas blend.
    there could be other causes for your problem,but that's one possibility.

5. I have a similar problem with a 97 GMC 2500 (350 V8). It was suggested to me that either I had a problem with the TPS (throtle position sensor) or the O2 sensors. No real way to test theO2 sensors other than replacment and results, but TPS should have smothe change in voltage when tested/monitored with multimeter.

Hope this helps!!

I don't have any codes or "check engine light" but do have fuel odor in exuast when cold and LOWSY milage.

6. One of the first things I check on a rich running engine is the coolant temperture sensor. Sometime there are more then one,one for the gauge or light and one for the computer. Mike