Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 18ft bass boat and I was wondering if it is possible to catch walleye let's say 1 to 2 miles out in the western basin like east harbor area. Iv never tried this before but I am set up on inland lakes for saugeye trolling but I just thought I'd be fun to fish the big water. I just want to know if it would be worth my time or not.

·
Registered
707 Posts
A good place to cast for summertime walleyes is middle harbor shoal. You can cast weight forward spinners with some success. I prefer aggressively working a jerk bait around the reef. A purple perch hj12 has always worked best for me. Fyi walleyes love weeds so concentrate your efforts on any weed beds you find on that reef. Also this tends to be a early morning and late evening bite.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Cool is there any good maps out there that show the reef areas?
search for live tracking ships on lake erie,
there is detail maps there for all lake erie,GPS ,contour and dept.
you good to fish in 1' to 3 ' waves.
go to iwind and look at the wind strenght by hours.learn how to transolate that strenght to waves.make your own chart and update what wind made what size waves,that is your best frend use that as refrence.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would recommend fishing some where between the west side of Huron to the east side of Vermilion.There is always descent near shore bites in July and August.Normaly well under two miles from shore.I have had too many great days to count in water under 25 ft in the middle of summer.Troll cranks 2.4 to 3.0 or cast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went out of cranberry yesterday morning in my v-16 tracker, went out to 40 feet, caught a couple of 18 inchers. it was pretty slow till we moved to 23 to 25 ft. between huron river and cranberry. we did better there, but lots of shorts, sheepshead,white perch, and a few white bass on harnesses, bandits and spoons when the waves picked up.

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,198 Posts
DH1, you can catch them from Toledo to Fairport right now. Just pick your spot based on the wind. With an 18' bassboat you will want to stay out of the wind. Head out turn on your fishfinders and catch em. You can catch them just about anyway you want to right now. Good luck.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,004 Posts
Also a South wind will keep the waves lower for you and the water temps lower too.
Western Basin are showing some 30 fow or less the last few days.
I have a friends boat that doesn't have sonar or navigation. I use the Navionics map to see my general location. I have used it without sonar and produced in shallow this time of year in Central Basin.

Rickerd

·
Registered
222 Posts
my buddy and have fished the Huron Cranberry area in his 18' ranger bass boat..however, he's been fishing out of that boat for 35+ years..knows what the boat is and isn't capable of handling + his first few trips on Erie were with me on my boat ..18' starcraft ss..again, I know the boat, I watch the weather, I pick my days on Erie carefully, and then there are no guarantees..like others have said, a south wind is what you want ...stay safe..stay close to safe harbor... pitter patter, get after it

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yes. I take my pro team 165 tracker up to the big lake. Went out of Cleveland to 56 foot last week and we were fine. Couple 3 footers on way out in morning but nothing to fret about. Just go with whatever you feel comfortable with. If your gut says don't do it or it's time to leave then listen to it

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I too fished Erie for years out of bass boats. Watch the weather, iwindsurf, MyRadar and NOAA I suppose. Fish early in the day this time of year...
As stated above there are some good reefs just out from E./ W. Harbors. That area is always rough from boat traffic though... Marblehead Lighthouse area is a good option but again, lots of traffic.

If I were to fish out of a bass boat these days I would concentrate on the S. Shore from Cedar Point to a few miles E. of Huron. There would be a lot less traffic, a big variety of bottom and shoreline structure and pretty much everything that swims will be catchable there at one time or another... IMHO

It is a short drive from the Harbor area and the ramps are top shelf.

Good luck, err on the side of caution. PFD’s are your friends...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts