close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question: Battery charging time

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by RiparianRanger, Aug 12, 2017.

1. RiparianRanger

RiparianRanger formerly known as BronzebackFanatic

I inherited a float charger that came with an adapter that permits leaving the rings on the battery posts as opposed to opening the battery box each time it needs to be charged and hooking up clamps. The charger is only 1.5 amps.

The table (shown below) indicates some fairly lengthy charging times depending on battery amp hours. I'm running a Deka DP24. Anyone know the amp hours of this battery? Is it 23 i.e. the "23 amp ave" shown on the battery? There's a photo of the battery below also.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. You are at 54 amp hours. It would take you 35 hours to completely charge a dead battery. You should use a 6 to 10 amp charger for that battery. That will charge in less than 8 hours.

RiparianRanger likes this.

3. RiparianRanger

Thanks. I see how you get 54. I usually do hook it up to a 10 amp charger but thought this might be easier with the adapter. For single outings I may still use this due to ease of use and the automatic switch to float charge mode. But for those weekends where I fish both days and need to charge overnight I'll drag out the big charger.

RJohnson442 likes this.
  4. Be careful with those "automatic switches" I've fried a battery trusting one.
    Best thing I ever did was put one of the onboard smart chargers in the boat. Plug it in and leave it plugged in between trips. No guessing, no figuring, no forgetting and battery life will last longer.

5. RiparianRanger

Do you recall the brand that malfunctioned?

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

wow... that's one busy battery right there:D

HawgHunter likes this.
  7. No I do not, not 100% positive anyway.
    It's been quite a few years ago but my brother who is an electrical engineer said I shouldn't leave it on because it wouldn't fully shut off, it would just drop down to a trickle and it would ruin the battery. It really wasn't a malfunction, it's how they were meant to operate. Since it was only
    1 1/2 or 2 amp to begin with I didn't really believe him that it would really hurt. He was right and it killed that battery dead.
    I do remember it was one of the more popular brand of chargers at the time...Schumacher maybe??? Won't swear on it.

Batteries are a lot more expensive now and I wouldn't take the chance. On my charger I didn't buy anything special, mine is a BPS XPS iT 555 (15 amp total, 3 bank, 5 amp per bank). It's just over 6 years old and no problems with it at all. Now that I'm retired I fish 2-5 days per week and it hasn't let me down yet.
    If you have the means and you plan to keep your boat it's well worth the investment.

Gottagofishn and RiparianRanger like this.
  8. RiparianRanger

Thanks crappie dude. Schumacher is what I have.

I'm a little confused here. Letting a battery sit and slowly discharge is supposed to be bad for them. Based on your experience a float charger is bad. What's a guy to do for long term storage? How is the mechanism on the onboard charger different from a traditional float charger?

9. Top it off every month or two. Not hard and doesn't take long at all.

10. Float chargers aren't necessarily bad. Topping them off every month is a good idea to help them stay fully charged when in long term storage. My problem is in remembering to do the charging or remembering to remove or shut off the charger without "cooking" the battery.

You should read up on the newer smart chargers. They have multiple stages.
    XPS has... charging, conditioning, float/maintenance & 21 automatic day battery health storage. (in short it pulls a little charge off and recharges again)

Remember my original statement wasn't that the float charges were bad, (they work just fine) it was more aimed at saying
    If you decide to go with a standard charger I simply would not trust the automatic switch to fully stop the charging once the charge is complete.
    If you are looking for something that is fully automatic I would look at an onboard smart charger.

11. Couldn't agree with you more, c-dude. Onboard smart chargers are the ticket and best convenience accessory for fishing boats. My GUEST unit is 6 years-old. In addition to worry-free charging, they pay for themselves with extended life of your batteries. Plus, in my Smokercraft Pro Angler XL you need to be a contortionist to access the batteries. No longer an issue even for us gray beards.

crappiedude likes this.
  12. An onboard charger is definitely the way to go. The the 1.5 amp trickle charger you are currently using will eventually destroy the battery by not providing enough current to properly recondition the plates. Most of the smaller "trickle" or float chargers were not designed to charge large marine batteries. Mine even says so on it. They are for maintaining and cycling the battery when they are in storage or not frequently used.
    Also, you may consider either adding bus bars or additional bolt on terminals to the plain lead post on your battery. I count at least 5 maybe 6 wires connected to both terminals. It is almost impossible to get the nuts tight enough to prevent bad connections and possibly sparking or arcing with that many connectors in place. Wingnuts are also notorious for loosening up and causing poor connections which can destroy ignition systems, electronics etc. and should always be replaced with a locking type nut which cant come loose.

Gottagofishn and crappiedude like this.