close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about Wingfoot...

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by crappiekid, Apr 30, 2004.

1. havent been there in yrs,was wondering if anyone could tell me the place to launch,since grandparents dont live in the state anymore (which they used to work for goodyr)...and any other info i must know to fish the lake..also any tips would be appreciated also :p,lookin for them crappie....thnx in advance...

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

The only place to get on the lake publicly is Copeland's bait/tackle and boat rental. They however, have closed the ramp that used to be there years ago and now use it for boat stake room. Boat rental is 15 bucks I believe, and you get your oars from the old man in the house. He'll come out if you pull in the back, or go and knock on the front door. He is grouchy and in poor health, so be very kind and forgiving if he rubs you the wrong way. If you have a boat that is light enough to carry yourself, you can launch it by hand and it is 5 bucks. I have done that with my canoe before. A light 12' semi vee with handles and 2 guys would be possible too. If you do that, unhitch the trailer and push it in to the shrubs as best as you can as parking is VERY limited. The other boat rental place on the penninsula is gone, I think. I always got on Wingfoot in years past mostly through my buddies aunt who had shorelin property, but she died over the winter and the house was sold. Copeland's is on Waterloo rd. Lake is electric only.

Hope this helps.

PS... a couple spots to hit for bass this time of year is the plateau out in the middle (need a depth finder to locate), they spawn there, and the bay in the far SE corner.

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

No place to launch. There used to be a launch at a bait shop but he only rents real crappy little boats know.

4. AndroDoug

Sorry, just re-read your original post. I am not a crappie guy, but I do know they are taken right in the bay by Copeland's, in and around the floating mat. There were two floating fish structures made with intertwined brush, surrounded by tires, made years ago by Goodyear. They used to be in the SW part of the lake, tethered to the bottom. They came un tethered and worked their way north and snagged on the "submerged forest" (another man-made fish structure) in Copeland's bay. They are overlapped and now support new growth of plants, as they are feet thick!!! Kind of wild. If you head out into the lake, go to the right of the mats because the forest is to the left and you might nail a tree and screww your prop up.

5. AndroDoug

Ncraft..he doesn't allow anyone to put in now? I did it with my canoe 3 or 4 times 2 years ago, and once last year. It was 5 bucks. As my first post read, you cannot "launch" with a trailer as ther is no ramp. But I thought you could still put in by hand. And yes, the boats ARE crappy! Bring a bailer (to get rain water out) and some rags and mild detergent to wipe boat out.

Have you tried to put in and he hasn't let you? I would like to know because I wanted to hit Wingfoot in my canoe next week or 2.

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

8 dollars to lauch and he still allows it. He was quite plesant when i was there.

7. ya for real cause i throw a john boat in the back of a truck so i really dont need a ramp.....??????

8. thank johnyboy,posted right as i was typin......lol.....and thnx androdoug for the info,much appreciated.....

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

for crappies, try the island straight out from the weedy looking mat. fish shallow w/ minnows under a bobber about three feet. I did real well last weekend. just look around the few trees laying in the water. make sure you lip hook the minnow so it can swim.

10. I think AndroDoug is wrong about electric only. I have been on the lake many times, and have seen boats powered by gas engines, but I don't know the H.P. limit.

11. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

pretty sure it's 5 HP limit

12. AndroDoug

You know, I have seen one or two gas engines on small boats out there as well, but always figured they were breaking the rules. It's not like it is patrolled very much! Pontoons out there have 9.9s. But 99% of all fishing boats had electric motors. The old man at Copeland's told me once that it was electric only as well, with the exception of pontoons. But with the difficulty of launching a boat, gas motors might be out the question anyways. I am curious what, if any, the HP restriction is, but it really wouldn't make a difference to me as I can't get my main boat on there. I am canoe bound with a 55#.

13. My Dad told me When Jindra's Landing was on the lake (before Goodyear bought the property). The H.P. limit was 9.9. Of course that was when the O.D.N.R. was involved in the lake management.

14. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

i was lucky enough to have known someone with thier house connected to the lake and was allowed to take his row boat out whenever i wanted. i ran a 9.5 out there a few times... just didnt open it up (all the time :D ) too much. for bass go find the submerged timber bay way back and left and i suppose by now, lots of lilly pads. :p take lots of spinnerbaits and prop baits ;)