close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about trailer lights on 2002 ford explorer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by smallmouth28, May 26, 2005.

1. My trailer lights on my 2002 ford explorer are not working. The plug atachment is the one from the factory. It has the round plug with 6 prongs and one in the middle. It worked two weeks ago but now it is mysteriously not working. I tried another plug adapter but that did not work so I bought one of those cheap plug testers at Wal-Mart and the only thing I can get to work is my tailights when I turn my headlights on. I checked the fuse under the hood and that is fine. So if anyone knows anything about newer ford explorers, please help me out. Thanks!

2. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

try cleaning the connections on the plugs.we have a 2000 explorer and the same thing happened to me last year.a buddy at work looked at the connector plug and said it was corroded and it needed cleaned.i cleaned up both,on the truck and the trailer and the lights worked.

3. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

try changing the fuse anyways unless you can get a probe and do it your self try changing it..........wouldn,t be the 1st time i saw it.....if not that than just start tracing wires from the plugin and if you can...... probe them and see what happpens ( power or not )

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I had a ground wire come loose (on a Chevy truck) that was part of the adapter.

5. Check your owner's manual. I'm not a Ford owner but I've heard that some of their trucks have a separate trailer light circuit with its own fuse.

6. culprit

culprit Culprit

Ken G is right I had an 02 F-150 with the same problem.There were a couple of different "normal" fuses under the hood for the trailer lights.There were also a couple of biggger black ones for the trailer harness.I had to replace one of the balck ones in my truck.It's early so I can't recall if it was a relay or what.

7. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Get ya a cheap test light, the kind that has a alligator clip on one end and the "ice-pick" with the bulb on it. Use the clip to ground it and start sticking your "hot" wires to make sure you are getting juice thru them. If the light does not come on(in tester) just start running down the wire to check your connections. Also is good to check if the fuse links are working or not just by sticking it on both sides to see if current is going through it. Somes kinda complicated but really is pretty easy to do. Good luck!

8. It was a big fuse in the fuse box under my hood, it was labeled trailer battery. Thanks for the help.