Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone explain to me how dipseys work? Last weekend I used a couple jets with spoons and did alright, but I don't know if I would be better off using dipseys. I usually fish in less than 40 FOW, dont know if that is important or not. I like to fish either spoons or cranks. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I prefer to use dipseys because they get out away from the boat by themselves. No boards to mess with. I troll everything cranks, spoons, harnesses etc. behind dipseys. The other major advantage to dipseys is you have less line out. I predominantly use #1 which only take 40-80 feet of line to run, occasionally i will use #0 if I have more than 6 poles in. I think dipseys are the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Dipsy's are a round 2 piece plastic disc with a weight in in the bottom piece.
When you snap your line to the Dipsy trip wire it causes the dipsy to tilt toward the weight and start to dive. You have 2 settings on the bottom piece. One right and one left. They go from 0 to 3. O being straight down and each number 1 thru 3 will plane farther out from the boat. Depth is determind by the amount of line out. Start out with the size 0 Dipsy. Doesn't pull as hard and will handle the depth you fish just fine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you can set them at different settings, what does that do? I usually only have 4 rods out at one time, so it sounds like I could use #1's. When using cranks, should I stay away from deep divers or not? Thanks

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Dipsy's are a round 2 piece plastic disc with a weight in in the bottom piece.
When you snap your line to the Dipsy trip wire it causes the dipsy to tilt toward the weight and start to dive. You have 2 settings on the bottom piece. One right and one left. They go from 0 to 3. O being straight down and each number 1 thru 3 will plane farther out from the boat. Depth is determind by the amount of line out. Start out with the size 0 Dipsy. Doesn't pull as hard and will handle the depth you fish just fine. If pulling cranks use the shallow divers. The big lipped deep divers could pull on the back of Dipsy and cause it to not run as deep, or keep tripping it.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
I know you can set them at different settings, what does that do? I usually only have 4 rods out at one time, so it sounds like I could use #1's. When using cranks, should I stay away from deep divers or not? Thanks
I would use shallow cranks, like renosky's, floating rapalas's, ripsticks, bombers etc.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
luhrjensen.com is the manufacturer and they have some great technical bulletins avaliable on line.

best of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts