Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rookie cooler filler
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am still new to this whole trolling thing and have a question. does the color of the jet diver or dipsey have any effect on catching fish? the only reason i ask is i have caught three trolling and hooked about ten, but they have all been on the same line. the lure has been different, but i run two rods (i'm usually by myself, work second shift) and all have been on the same one. the only difference i have on the setup is one of my dipseys is black (the one catching fish) and one is green (obviously, no fish) my pink and green jets don't seem to work either. can i just paint them black? any advise would be great..............

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
My buddy painted his all black... thinking of doing the same... got to find the right paint. Maybe somebody will share what paint will hold to dipsies and jets.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Some swear by the black jets/dipsys. Like anything else it all depends on the day. Sometimes the fish like the extra shine that the dipsey might put off, and other days they might shy away from it. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the charter captains like to run the green w/ yellow ring dipseys (for what thats worth). We switched to some black this year and haven't seen much of a difference. A few days they liked the colored ones better, and some days there's no difference. That probably doesn't help a whole lot, but its my .02

·
Registered
965 Posts
Rustoleum makes a spray paint just for plastics. I just scratched the face up a little with sand paper and then sprayed them. I'm a firm believer of black but thats just my personal preferance!!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Painted all my jets and dipsys black. Used plastic enamel paint that bonds to plastic (Home Depot I think). Might be just my imagination but two yrs back I felt that black or clear dipsys caught more fish than green or purple.

Had trouble with the clear dipsys........material did not hold its shape......so I would not go that route again. To their credit....they replaced them.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have chrome colors on my jets, and I have clear jets. My dipsey's are 3 different colors, and I really see no difference in which color I run. I do see a difference in spoon colors though. My dipsey's are 2 Green, 2 orange, and 2 black. I run each color on each side of the boat. It helps newbie's keep track of which rod goes where in the spread. Orange outside, Green middle, black in back.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I use 3 different colors also. Black, Clear and Glow. Some days one will out fish the other. Painted all of my other colors black. Have one Purple one left and will paint it black also as it has never done any good. If it doesn't work after I paint it will toss it away. Some of them just don't displace water the right way.

·
Tom B.
3,876 Posts
I used a large black laundry marker on one of my Dipseys, holding up so far. I still think I like the added color. Will have to try another year of experimenting before deciding whether to color them all black or not.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Black, clear, and glow Dipsys are what I mainly use. Sometimes when I paint them black, I will put one thin piece of masking tape down one side, then remove it after I spray it. This will leave a thin stripe of green/orange, or whatever color the Dipsy was originally. It might work as an attractant, it might not. All I know is that I seem to catch a lot of fish with them.

Jet Divers are clear or black on my boat. I've always used the Rustoleum flat black grill paint. It holds up well. Scratch up the surface first with one of those sanding sponges, wipe off the dust, and spray it.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
Black or the clear colors, clear or clear yellow on jets, the purple tiger is a dark color with no shine. for steelies I'll use the chrome blue,green

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yep, Black, clear, flat purple have always been the best in my experience for walleye as well. We keep the shinny stuff for Lakers in the Spring(out of North East PA)and steelhead.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Blue and clear dipsies work well for me, watermelon/black tiger jet divers do the job...

·
Registered
572 Posts
i love orange dipsies also have green and black and firetiger - as far as jets i have every color i think except for a pink one (my buddy bought it to try out and we matched it with a purple/pink spoon and it caught alot of fish) imho i dont think it matters and maybe color even helps? - run all chrome for bullets.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,947 Posts
i started with gray primer. it was what i had on hand, so i painted them all gray. it seemed to work fine. then i was out helping a buddy who has a charter boat and he had all of his painted black. when i asked him why, he said there's somedays that it didn't matter what color they were and then there were those days it did, anything for an edge. it worked for him so i tried it. seems to me gray or black will both work about the same. it just your prefrence, i guess.

·
3,317 Posts
my jets are just coded to size ie: 30's are pink 20's are black etc. dipseys are either purple or black, orange and firetiger. I really dont see much difference. except like rippin lip said "put the chrome out for the bullets."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts