close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about boats

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by NKUSigEp, Jul 31, 2007.

1. I have a chance to buy a 19 ft. Starcraft boat with a 90 HP Mercury engine on it for what seems like a pretty good price.

I'm rather new to the boat-world and have only had experience with my dad's Ranger. So are these decent boats? And what about the motor? Any help y'all can give me is greatly appreciated!

AD

2. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

I own two Starcrafts, one 16 ft. aluminum with a 25hp Merc OB and a 24 ft. Fiberglass with 260 hp I/O. Starcraft has a great reputation for being built to last and so far (knock on wood) I have yet to have a major issue with either boat. If you are serious about purchasing the boat bite the bullet and have a professional survey performed. If the Boat Surveyor finds any issues either ask the seller to have the issues fixed at their cost or get a quote from a Marine shop and have the seller take the repair costs off the selling price and have it fixed after the purchase. Just my two cents, good luck !

3. Thanks for the info! I know the guy who's selling it (drummer in one of my bands) but it sounded too good to be true at first and we all know how that turns out 99% of the time.

Anyone else have anything to add?

4. I guess another thing I forgot is what would be a decent estimated price for this boat - I don't know how old it is yet but it looks to be within the last 20 years or so and in good condition.

5. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

In order to estimate a price you will have to give the year and model of Starcraft. I am assuming that it is aluminum. Also what else does it come with (secondary items) fishfinder, safety equipment, rod holders etc....

6. I have a 1986 Starcraft deep V 18ft. 9 inches Center Console - It has been a GREAT boat and has been in the big water in Lake Michigan and Lake Erie. I also fish the Muskingum and Ohio river. The boat handles all conditions well and I have gotten caught out on Erie in 6-8 footers a few times and always made it back & managed to stay dry. If it is in good condition you should have no problems with it - IMO.

7. JerryA

JerryA fishing fool

Starcrafts are good, solid boats. If it's a riveted aluminum boat, it may have issues with leaking rivets depending on how old it is. You need to describe the boat better to get more comments. If it's a fishing boat with a windshield, the 90 HP is on the small side - it'll work ok for fishing but wouldn't work well for water sports. If it has a 17-19 degree deadrise hull it would work well in the river, Lake Erie and other larger lakes. I'd have someone check it over good before buying. Don't want any surprises.

8. Sorry about that guys - here are some pics of it that I just got that should help a bit more than me explaining it:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/273/boat3dn0.jpg
    http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6200/boat5ey5.jpg
    http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7363/boat6vq2.jpg
    http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/5305/boat1xn4.jpg

You don't get a really good angle of the front but it looks to be more squared off than the usual "V". It looks to be in pretty decent condition but I'll definitely have someone go over it and at least make sure it doesn't take on water.

9. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

O.K., out with it !:D What is the asking price..... It sounds like you are describing a tri-haul.

10. Somewhere in the middle of $3K and $4k

11. I would say take the money you are willing to spend and get want you want. If you are patient and look at all sources such as here, e-bay, craigslist, etc, you can get a pretty decent boat with all the equipment you need in that price range. Take into consideration things like where you will be using the boat the most (to get the right size), your ability to work on motors, the trailer condition, the trailering weight, where you will sotre it, etc.

The boat and motor you showed here appear to be late 70's? The price is probably what I would except if the motor is in good shape, and there are no soft spots on the boat floor. The interior looks real good, and the trailer looks recently painted. Just make sure that paint is not hiding too much rust.