Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took this boat out for the first time yesterday for about 3 hours. Came back in, at the ramp, with the boat tilted at near 45* angle while starting up trailer. Bilge pump kicked on and ran the whole while i was trailering and packing to go home. Quite a bit of water was in the boat. At home my son found a roughly 1 inch, machined hole on the center port side of the boat. Whats the deal with this hole. It is intentionally put there. can anyone tell me if this is where the water is coming in? Does this have anything to do with the live well? The bilge never came on while out on the lake.

Fluid Water Wood Gas Asphalt

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would agree…. Probably supposed to be some sort of plastic fitting on that hole connected to a hose…. I would try to figure it out and repair/replace before going out on the water again…

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,547 Posts
Lunds are rivited hulls - right? you can see rivits in the photo. howerver that hole appears to be of fiberglassbecause of the depth of the hole itself??

my alumacraft - rivited hull. has all water intake at the transom - bottom of V back there. and there is a drain out the side of the boat with a plastic fitting for the livewell. it can also drain out another path via the transom baitwell.

only time i saw that much water come out of my alumacraft, the plastic inlet tube for the livewell had broke off at the transom and thus i had a 1" hole at the back of the boat under the water line.

turns out the plastic ages via UV even when stored indorrs all its life. i broke off a bilge pump into pieces by hand when i was working on a new inlet line. so i replaced all and made a not to check all that plastics on my boats.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,547 Posts
Don't use plastic thru-hulls that are not rated for use below the waterline. They are not made from the same materials, and the "good ones" do cost more.

depends on the plastics. the black ones in my alumcraft are uv rated. the white thend to be the cheap that flake apart in a few years. best is stainless steel but what is the galvanic reaction between that and aluminum? have to think of that in any metal boat. fiberglass is a little simpleras it does not react to metals.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a ton guys, i will do as asked and send some more pics. It is not from winter storage as it was in the barn and the livewell was empty a few days before when i was cleaning it out. I'd say the bilge ran for a solid 10 minutes plus some discharge when i pulled the rear plug.
I thought the same thing, Shad Rap. It looks like a bad patch job around the hole.
Sounds like an excellent idea, fished-out, i will do that asap.
It's a 2000 17' angler ss with a 90 Merc on it.
It doesn't seem to be plastic around the hole, it looks like a factory hole for some purpose.
The boat is in very good shape for it's age and functioned perfectly other that the water intake.

·
Registered
235 Posts
depends on the plastics. the black ones in my alumcraft are uv rated. the white thend to be the cheap that flake apart in a few years. best is stainless steel but what is the galvanic reaction between that and aluminum? have to think of that in any metal boat. fiberglass is a little simpleras it does not react to metals.
I would say bronze is the best, but that's just me.

Color of the plastic is irrelevant, as long as it's rated for below the waterline use. Chinese crap from Amazon should not apply.

I'm not fond of aluminum boats, or steel, unless it's a little 14' or 16' open boat. Had plenty of dock mates with Chris Roamers and Marinettes with electrolysis issues. Far less if you trailer or rack, but I'll stick with fiberglass or wood. Wood boats are great if you can handle the maintenance. At my age, wood is out.

To the OP, looks like some bad welding or bad fiberglass work. You should be able to access that from the inside, somewhere. They had to access it to install it and whatever was supposed to be hooked up to it.

·
multi species angler
4,384 Posts
Took this boat out for the first time yesterday for about 3 hours. Came back in, at the ramp, with the boat tilted at near 45* angle while starting up trailer. Bilge pump kicked on and ran the whole while i was trailering and packing to go home. Quite a bit of water was in the boat. At home my son found a roughly 1 inch, machined hole on the center port side of the boat. Whats the deal with this hole. It is intentionally put there. can anyone tell me if this is where the water is coming in? Does this have anything to do with the live well? The bilge never came on while out on the lake.

View attachment 487308
If you have a front livewell that hole is most likely the drain hole for it. Should be a rubber plug inside livewell. I have a 97 prov and that is how mine is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a drain for the livewell. I never had one like this before and didn't quite get it. My other boats with livewells had a pvc mast in them to block the livewell. this one requires a standard "hull plug'. Problem solved. Thanks for all of your input.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Figured. Mine's a later model year LUND, but the front livewell has a plastic grommet on the outside, a plastic pipe to the live well, and a mast inside. I wonder if the prior owner scraped off the grommet, then tore out the pipe to fix it later and never did. A plug on the outside doesn't make sense to me. My rear livewell has a plug on the inside that goes into a plastic pipe that goes to the outside. You shouldn't get water on the inside of a boat from a livewell unless you've got a busted pipe--not ever.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts