Ohio Game Fishing banner

Do you quarter/pack out deer, or take it out whole?

• I quarter and pack it out

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I take it out whole

Votes: 27 96.4%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many of you quarter and pack deer out or take out whole. I've always taken deer out whole using a sled or a deer cart, but I plan to quarter and pack the deer out next season. I hunt Public Land exclusively and love the idea of going wherever I want without the nagging thought of "this is too far back to carry out deer." Is this naïve? I know both methods have pros and cons, but curious about the whole quartering/packing aspect of it and if any of you would care to share your experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Used a 2 wheel cart I made a few times till the atv path was cut in , plus at trc. And my Sil's
Past couple years I've bow hunted solo
More then that really
I would think it depends on terrain , open field areas 2 wheel cart, hills ..... well.... anytime you can put on wheels is a plus

20201204_164543.jpg

I like easy hunting anymore as I get older

20191208_102025.jpg

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have kicked around this idea as well and curious if people do it.

Seems that's the only way people do it out west but not much around here. I have often thought it would be a lot easier..... especially with a smaller doe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you're able, there is a way to dress and prepare the animal to be carried out like a back pack. Essentially, you skin back the animal from the hoof up to the first joint on all 4s. Keeping the hide in tact, break the first joint and remove the bone. Once all first joints are removed, you want to tie the hides together in a crisscross fashion. Front left is tied to back right and vice versa. Then you can lay on your back and fish your arms through the "back pack straps" you have created. The challenge is standing up. This is probably easier to do after the animal is field dressed if you don't mind a bloody back.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just curious how many of you quarter and pack deer out or take out whole. I've always taken deer out whole using a sled or a deer cart, but I plan to quarter and pack the deer out next season. I hunt Public Land exclusively and love the idea of going wherever I want without the nagging thought of "this is too far back to carry out deer." Is this naïve? I know both methods have pros and cons, but curious about the whole quartering/packing aspect of it and if any of you would care to share your experience. Thanks!
Is 200 yds straight up a tangled hill too far for you? Does that include skinning it? Never quartered one skin on. The hair is a bitch.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
People pack out animals when they HAVE to, its not as simple as some make it seem. Certainly doable and often the best option, but never easy. The easiest option may be to bone/quarter out and them drag that out on a sled. A lot less weight, but not all on your shoulders.

·
Registered
526 Posts
On the hunting public channel on youtube they were hunting public land this year for gun season. I believe it might I'd but the recreation aep land. Anyways he shot a buck saturday of gun season which I was impressed by, he said they were 2 miles from where they parked and they quartered it out.

The only thing with that is if your expecting to do that you need to carry all that stuff with you or at least hide it close to where your hunting so you'll have extra weight

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
18 Posts
I would pay to watch you haul a 200# buck up and down hills with tangles etc. I have passed up deer in southern ohio strip mine country after I went over couple of hills and realized it would be hell to get it out. I busted my butt dragging a big doe out of newly clear cut area full of tree tops, prickers etc and that was only 300 yards.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I hunted Muskingum Co for over 30 years. When the deer was gutted, I probably should have said eviscerated, grab and drag. Toward the end of 30 year run, it was gut it and go for help. To quarter a deer first, is loosing the opportunity to hang it for 5 days or so, which of course, will cause another thread.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,831 Posts
im assuming this is for those of us that process our own deer.

i have a cart and at my gun club there are old logging roads and pretty well worn paths, i also get the privilege to hunt a good friends property that has a 4 wheeler to assist in getting the deer out. we were talking about this just this last gun season. once you call in your deer tag, you can do what you want with it. he killed probably one of the biggest deer this year that ive ever seen, by myself, id of never gotten that beast out, it took both of us and a tractor. hell it almost kill both of us.lol.

when i was about 12 years old my father took me and my brother out to steamboat springs Colorado for an elk hunt, i was with my dad when he shot that bull from one mountain side to another, he was following a bunch of cows on a path just below the ridge line, i remember the shot and that beast dropping and sliding down the mountain until it go stuck behind a tree.. it took us 2 days of humping out elk meat in back packs.

to me the upside of quartering out is you only take what you need, i dont need to take a doe head out of the woods or a rib cage and something is going to eat it, the down side to me is multiply trips in and out of the woods, lets face it, after you kill a deer, gut it, get out of the woods, you're tired..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Throwing a deer over your shoulders or on your back is taking a chance in the era of “if it’s brown, it’s down”. If you do that, make sure it draped in blaze orange to limit the chances of being mistaken for a deer. I’ve either dragged or rolled mine out. Once it took me from 11 am to 5 pm. Almost all uphill in the Monongahela. But is was only 34 at the time. Not happening now. Lol.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,336 Posts
I would pay to watch you haul a 200# buck up and down hills with tangles etc. I have passed up deer in southern ohio strip mine country after I went over couple of hills and realized it would be hell to get it out. I busted my butt dragging a big doe out of newly clear cut area full of tree tops, prickers etc and that was only 300 yards.
Parts of my fish & game club are till piles from the old limestone quarries that were from over 100 years ago. The official club name for one of those areas is "No man's land"! And it is exactly that. It is unhuntable, and the deer know it. Especially the bucks. We have caught huge bruisers just outside the area. Saw one that boggled my mind! If it wasn't 300 lbs I'd eat my hat!

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,031 Posts
In the East, if planning to go "far back" I will carry one of the kids sleds that is just a sheet of plastic about 1mm thick and rolled up into about 3" diameter roll. think it is only about 16" wide but about 4-5' long when unrolled. i have holes in the long edges and can lace a deer into this. thus slides much easier than the deer with just hide. wrap up the deer attach drag rope to my belt and start dragging...

Out west, a deer, will do same as east to get to camp or truck unless climbing invoved then do same as elk below. at camp i may have my actual sled if used coming in. Elk, well just too big to drag under any circumstances. bone the meat and carry or sled out meat. can't eat bones, so i won't carry them out either... other than the head bones that is.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
In the East, if planning to go "far back" I will carry one of the kids sleds that is just a sheet of plastic about 1mm thick and rolled up into about 3" diameter roll. think it is only about 16" wide but about 4-5' long when unrolled. i have holes in the long edges and can lace a deer into this. thus slides much easier than the deer with just hide. wrap up the deer attach drag rope to my belt and start dragging..
When I worked in a warehouse, we got a lot of freight in on heavy plastic like that . We called them "slip sheets" Incredibly slick on one side and were about 40X48. I put 2 end to end and attached them together with grommets. Grommets along both sides to lace up like Privateer said. If there was a frost on the leaves, you would actually have to hold back on the rope! I used to keep a few on the back porch and the neighbor kids would take them to sled ride on. I've even put them under the truck and could easily pull myself around underneath when I was changing oil etc.

·
Carp53.65
4,154 Posts
I shot one this year that ran off and died in an absolute hell hole. After going through this a few years ago the decision was pretty easy for me. Especially since this one was in a worse spot to get out. Lawn bags are always in my back pack. Too beat up for that nonsense any more.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Deer sleigh'r sled is what a couple friends have , I've never used but they swear by them ,

anything is better then nothing, 2 of us used my 2 wheel cart to carry one out before the atv path was cut in....... here and there it hit the ground on the wheels but for the most part just carried...... I could see a pole with deer suspended from it off the ground and 2 people carry one out on their shoulder

L4XM2GA5WKZELYBOJHD6FVYZNY.jpg

·
Registered
468 Posts
Had a cabin up in Potter County decades ago and 2 hour walks to the stand and 4 hour drags were the norm. Fast forward 40 years and I find myself hunting an area thats 300 yards up a 20 percent grade from the truck. Theres a quad that my girlfriend bought me last summer on a trailer behind it. Was fortunate enough to tag out this year and never broke a sweat, I doubt my heart rate ever went above 90 BPM except for when the 9 point stepped out. I guess with age comes common sense or laziness. Same end result the freezer is stocked.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I pack most of mine out for about the last ten years or so since going on my first elk hunt. A big buck will be a load of about 80ish pounds, not a picnic to pack, but a heck of a lot better than dragging one solo. Look up the gutless method, there are lots of good videos detailing how to do it. It takes some care and practice to get good at quartering one up on the ground without getting hair and leaves on the meat, but it's not terribly difficult. Really the only reason I ever drag one out anymore is because it's nicer to bring a whole deer home for my kids to get psyched up about.

·
Registered
468 Posts
De-boning the animal and packing it out is a great option, over here however the Pennsylvania game commission prohibits the practice. Even elk and large black bears have to be removed firm the woods intact. I've been involved in retrieving 350+ pound black bears, its a nightmare moving the mass they're like a blob of jelly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts