close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Quail

Discussion in 'Upland Game and Hunting Dogs' started by shorebound, Nov 30, 2008.

1. me and my buddy where on our way back from pheasant hunting this morning and i made him turn around because i saw 2 sets of quail sitting on the side of the road stopped snapped a pic on my phone and scooted them along back into this field 2 males and 2 females and only got a pic of the female i'm pretty sure these are the first quail i have ever seen around here

Attached Files:

2. thats a good sign. what county are you in? im a quail hunter at heart and i love to see wild birds out and about. i think it means they are making a comeback. keep looking for them around there. im hoping that they bring back quail hunting in greene county.

3. that was on the edge of mahoning and portage i hope they where wild they didn't seem to mind the cars and i was pretty close to them probably 5 feet away untill they flew away im hoping some one didn't release them and their wild healthy birds

4. wally72

wally72 wally72

Good, I would love to see them make a comeback. Back in the early 1970's here in ross county there where a lot of them. The blizzad and farmers planting fence row to fence row just about wiped them out.I have a few acres in a program that has a lot of grass and I have seen two bunches with maybe 10 to a bunch, it is everything I can do not to go out and hunt them but I want them to get back to the 25 to 30 in a covey that I remember. I saw 5 rooster pheasants the other day and I am waiting for my son to come homr from Iraq to hunt them. I just would like to get maybe one or two. I don't understand people who think you need to hunt an area untill you shoot everything there. Just venting Wally

5. well when your son comes home tell him i said thank you. and good luck on them roosters those are few and far between around here to

6. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

i actually kicked up about 10 quail this past saturday, were the first ones that i had ever saw if my uncle hadn't told me what they were then i wouldn't have known. also got two pheasants and jumped 2 more all while trying for rabbit. and this was all on public land