close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pyrex

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by shroomhunter, Aug 27, 2008.

1. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Had quite an incident the other evening. I was working at the computer and the wife was making dinner. She had marinated chicken breasts and baked them in her pyrex glass pan. She turned on the broiler for a minute or 2 just to glaze them as she always does. I heard her open the oven door and then I heard a loud POP and her scream. I ran to the kitchen to find her standing there with glass all around her. Luckily she didn't get burned or cut and most of the glass fell onto the oven door. She has always done chicken breasts this way in her pyrex and has never had this happen before, I can only assume age and the sudden change in temperature caused the pyrex to explode. Be careful when baking with this stuff!

2. I learned this by mistake when I was 15 or 16 years old by dropping a hot Pryex measuring cup in cold water, I ended up with one sliver of Pyrex in my and a couple of cuts on my hand. Below are instructions from their website.

PYREX GLASS BAKEWARE SAFETY AND USAGE INSTRUCTIONS

NEVER use on top of the stove, under a broiler, in a toaster oven, or place
    over oven vent or pilot light.
    AVOID severe hot to cold temperature changes, including:
    DO NOT add liquid to hot dish
    DO NOT place hot dish or glass cover in sink
    DO NOT immerse hot dish in water
    DO NOT place hot dish on cold or wet surfaces
    Handle hot ovenware and glass covers with dry potholders
    ALWAYS add a small amount of liquid to the vessel prior to baking foods that release liquids while cooking.
    DO NOT overheat oil or butter in microwave. Use minimum amount of cooking time.
    DO NOT use or repair any item that is chipped, cracked or scratched.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

This is interesting in the fact I just saw this on the news this evening. John Materese ask folks for info that has had this happen to them.
    This cookware is advertised as being able to go from the freezer to the oven and back in without a problem.
    The manufacturer reply was "People are not reading the fine print"...WTF...! :(

Here's the link...second one down. The story is yet to come...!
    http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/default.aspx

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

my sister -in-law learned the same lesson years ago when she tried cooking something on the stovetop........KABOOM!!!
    some of that glassware is made for cooking on direct heat,but some is not.if it's only for oven use,that will be the result if you expose it to high,direct heat including a broiler.

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

This too is interesting and contradictory to what Materese stated. It makes sense because it has happen to me as well, though not with Peyrex. It was tempered glass (coffee pot/cold water) which is basically the same. It'll be interesting what he has to say about this.

6. One time I took a hot pyrex 9x11 and put it in dishwater. ---glass everywhere!!!

ski

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

We use Pyrex and Kimex in the lab all the time. I have two beakers on the hot plate right now.
    Most people get into trouble with it because they touch the hot Pyrex with a wet or damp dishrag to remove from the oven.
    Also be very very careful boiling water in the microwave in Pyrex. You can easily superheat the water and as soon as you touch the container... KABOOM. Glass and boiling water everywhere.

8. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I'm not sure if she was using dry potholders or not but this was an older Pyrex brand 8X8 square and she had broiled in it before. She learned a valuable lesson and luckily wasn't burned in the process. She wont ever use Pyrex under a broiler again.

9. had same thing happen to me kinda.. cooked a meatloaf and pulled it out to firm up some before takin out of the dish.. i was out of the kitchen at the time and heard glass shatter when i walked into the kitchen found glass all over and was a pyrex bakin dish