close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pymatuning Spillway (where the ducks walk on the fish)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JV1, Aug 31, 2004.

1. JV1

JV1

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. catking

catking Banned

For those who haven't seen this live it is worth the drive. Make it a weekend and fish this lake, but for sure visit the Carp ;) .CATKING

3. Is there a known cause as to why all of those Carp congregate there? Do they get "stuck" there or what?

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

the known cause is the literal truck loads of bread that are dumped into the lake each day.

5. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I saw something like that at Deerfield Village (in Dearborn MI, something like that, near Henry Ford Museum) when I was kid. This theme attraction had a lake and the popcorn vendors who were along the lake's shores threw their trays of unused popcorn and kernels into the lake. The carp were on each other's backs just like those pics. They waited by each vendor. It was a sight to see! I was only like 8 or 10. That was 22-24 years ago. But it is a vivid memory! :)

6. JV1

JV1

when the people stop throwing bread the fish leave the area, visit the spillway in the fairly cold months and you wont see a single fish, yet in the tourist season they number perhaps in the millions...... the reason? johnboy guessed it.....bread

7. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Somewhere I read that PA netted bunches of carp out of the spillway once a year and rendered them into pet food. Maybe around the time of the Carp-a-thon they used to have (or maybe still do). Proceeds went to charity or wildlife or some public fund. I may have read this in one of those free "newspapers" you can pick up in the area stores. Anyone else know of this?

8. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I actually beleive that the carp there are somewhat genetically adapted to eat the bread. maybe some of the carp guys out there can attest, but it seems that no matter where you go on the lake, if you throw out some good ol' white bread, the carp will swarm.

9. JV1

JV1

i always imagined putting a net under the circular spillway (under the waterfall) and getting rid of all of them, you could get a million in 1 scoop...

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Those are some amazing pictures, thanks for sharing.

I was gonna ask what they were doing on 7/19 like that, knew it was to late to be spawning, but johnboy answered my question, thanks :)

11. catking

catking Banned

You all want to know how smart carp are? There is a cable that separates where you can fish and where you cannot fish by this area. The cable is 3 feet in the air and stretches across the entrance of the lake 's spillway by these carp. You can throw a piece of bread 6" on the side that you can fish, and not ONE carp will go get it from the " safe " zone. Try it ;) Throw it 6" into the no fishing zone, and a billion carp will attack the bread.AMAZING.....CATKING

12. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

king is right, i have witnesses it many times. amazing!

13. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

My dad used to take me there as a kid....I think everyone's first thought is "boy would that suck to fall in".

14. JV1

JV1

Catking I just had a laugh.... I know that "cast under the wire" trick to .... here is a quick story.... One time I had a hook with a doughball (no sinker) I casted under the wire literally in a mass of carp... I expected a bite instantly but it didnt happen, somehow the bread ball made it to the bottom through all the carp and I caught a decent size channel cat. Also in early spring (ice out) that spot is a locals secret for wading for walleye.... many limits taken there

15. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

i'm surprised the bowfishermen dont clean that place out....I could see some idiot going in there and arrowing up those fish.

16. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

17. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

The bowfishermen don't clean them out because it is illegal to fish on the spillway side of the wire (under the bridge). That's why the wire is there. One side of the wire is in the wildlife refuge and the other is not. PA fish commisioners will cite for casting over the wire, I've seen it. Somehow the wire was down for a short time early this spring and I heard they were still citing people for fishing in there. The wire is back up now. I have bowfished (long time ago) the shallow weedy area by the causeway, the fish are just as wary as can be. I hooked a big carp this spring on jig and minnow in that area and the thing almost spooled me twice before I landed it.

18. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

this is one of the most horrible scenes in the fish world
    i have EVER seen.its CRAZY!all these sickly looking,diseased
    infested,under nurished carp crammed up into a spillway
    (above and below)fighting for a bunch of food that has little
    or no usefull nutitional value for them(except the carbs which
    they use to further their nasty lifestyle,of being geeked-out
    junkies looking for their next bread fix)i bet not 1% of those fish
    leave that spillway once they find it.its good that the store there
    has finally stopped selling bread and now sell something alittle more
    healthy for the fish,fish pellets.but your allowed to bring your own
    bread still.they should start handing out medicated foods for people
    to feed these disease carrying fish.its shame that such large carp(well
    not that large)become strung out like this.

19. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

like the crack heads in the hoods on howard.