Pymatuning Resivoir

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by striperswiper, Mar 2, 2009.

1. striperswiper

striperswiper Catfisherman for life;)

Just wanting some boating info bout the lake ""Can you launch in ohio and run to the penn. side and legaly fish?

2. Yes licence is good anywhere on the lake except when shore fishing must have licence for state you are shore fishing. Put the boat in anywhere and your good to go.

3. striperswiper

ok thx but how wld a 12' alum do in the lake with a 40lb trol.ling motor been looking to get a biger boat lol

4. stormfront

stormfront Guest

the lake gets rough real quick, at times. there are a lot of ramps around the lake, so check a map as to where you want to fish and find a ramp. again, the lake can be dangerous in a small boat. would wait til summer when the water is warmer.

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Very good info there. We lost a church member not long ago to this lake. Boat capsized in windy conditions. Please be careful out there with a 12ft boat. Sit low in it and wear your pfd at all times.

6. striperswiper- if you must go, stay on the Ohio side (usually the up-wind side)
    staying close to shore may help a bit, especially if you only have a trolling motor..

But everyone is right- that lake can get crazy quick! If you don't have high sides on your boat- be very careful!

7. Why don't you fish in one of the many bays w/ your boat. I've caught walleye and panfish galore in the bays.

8. everyone seems to have decent luck with the walleye in that lake when there still back in the bays but i can never seem to find em. i dont mean to be nosey but in wat general area are you in and wat baits work best

9. Ive done well early spring back in the bay down by the damn with chartruse jigs. minnow or just a twister tail.(watermelon color)

10. No way no how would I go on Pymatuning with just an electric motor. In my 50+ years of fishing Pymatuning has scared the bejabbers out of me twice. Once in a 12 ft boat with an old whizzer engine and one time in a deep and wide 14 ft with a 9.9 Johnson.

That old whizzer was more powerful than any electric motor but she could not overcome the waves that day . Had to beach it and wait out the storm. Mid- April it was and a long cold wait it was too. The time with the 14 ft had almost 150 people watch me and my partner trying to make it to the Duck and Drake launch. I think the waves were pushing us back 2ft for every 3ft foward. We had gone too far south from there and this storm came in like a blitzing linebacker. From bluebird weather to raining dogs and cats in mere minutes. Had the sump running and partner was bailing with minnow bucket. This was like end of May that time while warm god did we get wet.

When we finally made it to the launch quite a few of the onlookers said " we didn't think you guys were going to make it. " I replied well I ain't lost one yet but I sure as heck didn't feel that way 1/2 way back.

Erie gets my greatest respect but Pymatuning is not far behind.

11. ignantmike

ignantmike steelhead crazy

i've used a 14ft boat with electric motor in pymy before....but, i lauched south end of lake and only went a couple of hundred yard's from shore....but mostly i stick to the bay area's......

12. I was told if you launch at the jamestown marina .That you need a pa license to bring fish out the water.

13. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Not true. If you are fishing on shore, you need to have a license for that state. You can put a boat in from either state and fish from it. Just remember, dont rinse your fish off from shore if you dont have a license for that state. Dont give the GW any reason to question where or when you caught your fish.

14. Hi folks, Been a while since I've posted. Used to go to Pym. as a kid. Can you still catch muskie and pike in the lake?

15. stormfront

stormfront Guest

still a lot of muskies, some walleyes but no pike. to my knowledge, i have never heard of a northern coming out of the lake.

16. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

As a total novice boater, I bought a used 12 ft jon boat with a 50s era 5hp Johnson when I was 18. I was so eager to get it out that I went out in some whitecaps on Pymatuning. I found my spot, cut the motor, and tossed the anchor over the stern...uh oh. I was about two seconds away from swamping it before I got the anchor off the bottom.

17. I use a 12 foot aluminum boat with an old but reliable 5.5 evinrude...and if it's not dead calm I don't stray more than a few hundred yards away from the dock...but if it's a flat nice sunny day you can go pretty much wherever you please but at the sight of rain clouds you better start trolling back to the shore...b/c it WILL get choppy FAST...and on the windy days you can still stay close to shore on the upwind side w/o much trouble....personnally ive never been out there on a day where It was choppy enough to capsize me and I really don't PLAN to...generally don't go out if the forcast is bad and try to stay on the upwind side...safety first!!!!! fishing isnt worth risking your life!!!!

18. I have a 16 ft mirrocraft with a 9.9, and have nearly had my boat swamped twice on Pymie. Bright sunny day when a hard wind picked up from the north. I had put in at the state campground on the ohio side and was nearly to the dam when the wind switched. Before I could get more than 400 yds across the lake, I was taking on water over the bow. One guy bailing and all of us in the rear third of the boat to keep the bow up we ran for the Ohio shoreline. Stayed in the lee of the shore as much as possible as we worked our way north. Still having to bail constantly. As I pulled it into the bay with the ramp, we had only about 7 inches of freeboard with water around our shins. As my buddy stepped to the bow to jump out it came level with the waterline. Nearly swamped us. Turns out my bilge pump was running but evidently the impeller inside wasn't working. Took over an hour to drain my boat through the plug. For the first 25 minutes the water shot straight out for about 6-7 feet before heading for the ground. Closest I have ever come to sinking a boat anywhere but Erie.

Huntinbull

19. striperswiper

ok i have my answer its baisicly suicide taking a 12' boat out with a 40lb motor i think ill wait till i get the 16' deep v im looking for Thanx for the info its not worth my life to catch a few fish i think ill stick to shore for now

20. Not suicide if you watch the sky and keep a weather eye out. My first mistake was to get so busy fishing I didn't keep an eye on the sky. My second mistake was to not look at the bilge pump discharge to make sure that it was pumping. I could hear the bilge pump motor, but didn't look to see if it was actually pumping. Third mistake was not beaching until the weather eased up. I should have gotten into the lee of an island or point and tied off or anchored just off shore out of the wind.

Huntinbull