Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all. Just looking for suggestions on fishing Pym.
We’ll be fishing for fun catch n release. Hoping to find out how / where would be best. Wondering if north or south of causeway is better? Im not too concerned targeting any particular species. Whatever will be best odds to put a couple young teens on some fish. Will probably just drift & cast. Thanks for any suggestions. Have a happy & safe 4th!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Get some wax worms for the bluegills if you go up north in the stumps. Six to ten foot will be good. Minnows under bobbers or Bobby Garland baby shad jigs tipped with crappie nibbles will put crappies in the boat too. Worms for walleyes and catfish. Hope you have a great time out there. Stay hydrated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We decided to rent from Linesville Marina. So that will start us on the N end. Is there a map that shows where the stump fields are?

·
Registered
165 Posts
We decided to rent from Linesville Marina. So that will start us on the N end. Is there a map that shows where the stump fields are?
Yup, any good Pymie map will show the stump fields. Go straight out of the marina and you'll be in them. West side of Clark Island is full of stickups also. Just look for the marker buoys. Be careful running around out there if you're not familiar with the lake. Boat docks can be good fishing also. Lots of lily pads in the north end. Fish the edges for panfish. Some nice perch in Pymie if you can find them. Good luck and have a great time!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for advice & tips! Much appreciated.
I’ll put the kids on minnows & worms. I’m gonna play around with a variety of bass baits and see what happens. Maybe luck out with some bass or pike. Can’t wait!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
No pike in Pymatuning. Lots of muskies tho. Take pics and post results. Would enjoy seeing them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well had a fun day today on the Pym. We battled some sturdy wind most of the time which made fishing tough on the pontoon. Tried slip float w worms and minnow for a while in the west side of Clark Isl w/o a bite. Moved east to the stumps and changed to 1/8oz jighead tipped with crawlers and minnows about a foot off bottom and got some action.
Bunch of small perch 6”-8”.
A few cats 8”-10”. One 6” baby lm bass. One 5” gill. And my wife got the trophy of the day with one 11” crappie. It was a great day and we’re looking forward to giving it another try again this summer. Thanks again fellas!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I caught a few small cats with speckles on their sides. Would of looked good in the fish tank. Been catching a lot of small fish lately small crappie in the tubes too so i assume the spawn been good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I caught a few small cats with speckles on their sides. Would of looked good in the fish tank. Been catching a lot of small fish lately small crappie in the tubes too so i assume the spawn been good.
A couple of the little cats we caught had spots/speckles too.
Those fish would not sit still for pictures. We did try but they were wild. All fish were released unharmed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts